So how does Princess Crown REALLY run on the PSP?

Hey guys, I know it's old news, but I just read this interview where the interviewer says that Princess Crown is running on the PSP via emulation, using GiriGiri no less. I can't believe this, but the Sony guy didn't correct him. He may be just a batty PR guy, though. The PSP has a 333 MHz CPU. Every other Saturn emulator on PC isn't happy unless it has 10 times that speed. What's going on? Did they emulate Princess Crown like they "emulated" the SNES Final Fantasies on the PSX, or what?

And by the way, what do guys think of all this Saturn-On-Sony business? Has anyone even read something from Sega about this?

Really interesting, there was no SEGA news yet about this. I didn't think the PSP was so fast to emulate the Saturn, it wa more logocal to see it on Wii for instance. Wee will see if it happens.

I'm thinking it is possible especially when I think of Bleemcast since each Bleemcast disc was made to support a few games at a time.

Princess crown is only one game so the emulator code can be optimised only for that one game and instead of emulating the entire Sega Saturn just emulate enough of it to get that particular game running

All in all, it's actually quite untrue. Princess Crown for the PSP only reuses the script and event data from the saturn version. Everything else has been redone specifically for PSP. I have no idea where this guy is getting his info from.

CyberWarriorX said:
All in all, it's actually quite untrue. Princess Crown for the PSP only reuses the script and event data from the saturn version. Everything else has been redone specifically for PSP. I have no idea where this guy is getting his info from.

Thank you for your input, that certainly sounds most reasonable to me. Might I ask, though, what your source on this information is?

My source is the game itself. If you compare the files between the Saturn version and the PSP version, you'll notice that a number of things have been changed. All music(including the sequenced music) have been converted to atrac, sound effects were converted as well. The graphics have been converted to another format I'm not familiar with, fonts have been replaced, and a few additional graphics have been included. And lastly, all Saturn SH2 code has been removed. That pretty much debunks any theory of emulation, since you can't exactly emulate non-existent code :)

CyberWarriorX said:
My source is the game itself. If you compare the files between the Saturn version and the PSP version, you'll notice that a number of things have been changed. All music(including the sequenced music) have been converted to atrac, sound effects were converted as well. The graphics have been converted to another format I'm not familiar with, fonts have been replaced, and a few additional graphics have been included. And lastly, all Saturn SH2 code has been removed. That pretty much debunks any theory of emulation, since you can't exactly emulate non-existent code :)

Thanks for clearing that up I was suprised to hear about a Saturn game being emulated on the PSP aswell

Back