Game Gear Screen? / Sound Fix.

We All know that their is a fix for the Game Gear Sound due to poor capacitors.

http://www.smspower.org/dev/docs/ggsoundfix/

But has anyone made guide on replacing the capacitors for the Sega Game Gear screen supposedly this is why the colours was out and the screen becomes poor and loses colour. I have read on forums of people replacing the Caps and fixing screens but cant seem to find a good guide does anyone have one. So i know which caps to replace.

I don't yet know how to fix this problem but I have a Game Gear with the same problem and intend on repairing it. If I figure it out then I will let you know.

Replacing all of the capacitors is pretty much a sure bet. I will defenately try that but hopefully I will be able to figure out which one is causing the problem.

Kuta said:
Replacing all of the capacitors is pretty much a sure bet. I will defenately try that but hopefully I will be able to figure out which one is causing the problem.

Well me and my friend did it and lets say the contrast went from dull to colourful again which was great, while the screen is old technology and will never look like TFT it did make a difference especially when it came to colour improvement / noise and ghosting. We found that when we replaced C48 on this game gear their was a noticeable improvement but then again may be different as each cap has different tolerance.

I just got my capacitors out of maplin i went for the smallest caps i could get the miniature ones so that it would fit the the case. If you cant find the correct uf you can connect them in parallel like we did with the capacitor in the first picture under the c37 number. That was one capacitor 47uf @ 16v and one 22uf @ 16v to make 69uf which was the slightly higher than the original 68uf cap but their is a 10-20% lee way. The voltage rating of the capacitors doesn't matter but the UF rating is very important. When putting it together do one capacitor at a time then turn the game gear on and test that it works. This will narrow down any problems you may have, also when putting them in make sure you check the case will go back together properly(that's why i recommend minaturised caps) if you look at the bottom we had to move one of the capacitors to the bottom of the GG to make space we just soldered two wires onto the capacitors contacts.

Also make sure you dont put your handy anywhere near the screen while the case is on and powered by batteries or mains as if you look at picture 4 youll see why.

We started with this

and ended with this

That is the rating in volts that the screen outputs when on, it hit 300v at the start. Unless you like a shocking surprise dont touch the screen / terminals while its on.

Back