[FIXED] Issues using USB Saturn devcart on linux

Good evening.

I just got my USB Saturn devcart, but I'm unable to upload , under linujxm anything into it.

I've compiled the ftx util from source, but when I run the program I get the following output :

Code:
jaerder@jaerder-G50V ~/Downloads/ftx $ sudo ./ftx -p 0x6001 -x "../../development/Tools/saturndev/sgl/sample/akira/sl.bin" 06004000
Send data error: usb bulk write failed
jaerder@jaerder-G50V ~/Downloads/ftx $

Any Ideias?

And BTW, the FTDI chip is listed under lsusb.

RE: Issues using USB Saturn devcart on linux

Good Morning.

My issue was a cold solder on the devcart.
Nothing that my soldering Iron and a bit of flux could not handle.
After rework of the soldering the result now is :
Code:
jaerder@jaerder-G50V ~/Downloads/ftx $ sudo ./ftx -x sl.bin 0x06004000
Transfer time 0.223678
Transfer speed 362.826263 K/s
jaerder@jaerder-G50V ~/Downloads/ftx $

Hey, I wasn't sure if I should start a new thread or not, but I'm also having the same issue. I added a few lines to the xfer.c source code to relay how many bytes have been sent:

$ sudo ./xfer -p 0x6001 -x ~/saturndev/sample_2_2/sample/cd/0.bin 0x06004000
Sending a total of 69168 bytes
Sending 3968 bytes
Sending 3968 bytes

I'm not sure if my issue is with the solder work or something else. Currently I'm looking at the board for any potential cold solder joints or other issues (re-soldering as I go). I would have posted this sooner, but I've been pretty busy and haven't had time to look further into this. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks =D.

EDIT: Here are some more details of what I'm experiencing:
After turning on the Saturn and getting past the boot screen, the display flashes green then blue repeatedly. I then run the command previously listed, whereby the display turns red for a short while, then orange and stays orange until I turn the Saturn off. Though, I'm curious as to why the display alternates between green and blue and also why it turns red. As I took a look at the source code (presumably the one flashed) and it should only turn red if something goes wrong, plus there's no code to alternate between blue and green.

The cartridge ROM must pass the header security check to run, so the flash portion seems to work. Since the firmware reacts to incoming data, the FTDI status lines also seem to work at least somewhat. That points to the FTDI data bus and its associated decoding and buffering.

Red Ring Rico said:
Hey, I wasn't sure if I should start a new thread or not, but I'm also having the same issue.  I added a few lines to the xfer.c source code to relay how many bytes have been sent:

$ sudo ./xfer -p 0x6001 -x ~/saturndev/sample_2_2/sample/cd/0.bin 0x06004000
Sending a total of 69168 bytes
Sending 3968 bytes
Sending 3968 bytes

I'm not sure if my issue is with the solder work or something else.  Currently I'm looking at the board for any potential cold solder joints or other issues (re-soldering as I go).  I would have posted this sooner, but I've been pretty busy and haven't had time to look further into this.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks =D.

EDIT: Here are some more details of what I'm experiencing:
After turning on the Saturn and getting past the boot screen, the display flashes green then blue repeatedly.  I then run the command previously listed, whereby the display turns red for a short while, then orange and stays orange until I turn the Saturn off.  Though, I'm curious as to why the display alternates between green and blue and also why it turns red.  As I took a look at the source code (presumably the one flashed) and it should only turn red if something goes wrong, plus there's no code to alternate between blue and green.

Sorry to hear it.

In my case was just a cold solder joint. (ironically, My saturn was not booting CD due to broken solder joint on its modchip......just fixed it today.)

Sorry for the trouble caused. I test the cartridges before shipping them, but unfortunately soldering troubles happen :/

> Though, I'm curious as to why the display alternates between green and blue and also why it turns red. As I took a look at the source code (presumably the one flashed) and it should only turn red if something goes wrong, plus there's no code to alternate between blue and green.

While very similar, firmware flashed on your USB dev cart isn't antime's version :
- Green and blue screen blink is in order to notice if Saturn froze or not.
- Orange color indicates that data is currently transferring.

You can find more informations on the readme here : http://ppcenter.webou.net/satcart/readme_usbcartrom.txt

As indicated by antime, ROM related stuff is working fine, so there's a problem on USB related chips (U25, U26, U26 and U28).
I suggest you to verify U27 first, because it's related to USB data lines, and easy to check and solder.
If it doesn't works after that, you should check U28, but it requires solder wick and flux in the case fix is needed.

Can you inform me if you could fix the cartridge, or if it is still not working correctly ?

Sorry about the delay in response time. I'm very embarrassed to say that it seems to be a problem with my Linux install. I'm not sure if I'm missing a driver (I've built the ftdi_sio driver as a module) or if there's something else wrong. All it took was testing the cartridge with my Windows machine. Really I should have done that earlier to eliminate any software-related issues.

jae686, did you have to do anything to get the transfer tool running? Also, which distribution are you running?

EDIT: Okay, I just built http://koti.kapsi.fi/~antime/sega/usbcart/usb_cart_tool.tgz instead of http://koti.kapsi.fi/~antime/sega/files/xfer.tar.bz2 which seems to work. I'm watching Akira walking around in a circle, now =P. Sorry for resurrecting this thread over a non-issue. It looks like the xfer.tar.bz2 tool (which I gather is the older version) immediately disconnected the /dev/ttyUSB0 connection before it finished uploading.

Glad it worked fine :)
Did you had to fix/resolder your USB dev cart ?

(xfer.tar.bz2 is for communication via serial port at the rear side of your Saturn, it is different from USB dev cart.)

I have no idea if resoldering did anything, as I didn't try the ftx tool first. I guess you live and learn =P. Now onto using the cartridge =D.

OK, good luck with your walking Akira and gdb :)

And thank you for making your USB dev cart working without help from me ! I like people that fix problems by themselves :)

Back