• Rise from your gwave!

21 pin model 1

Discussion in 'Saturn' started by Gallstaff, May 20, 2002.

1. Gallstaff

Gallstaff Member

Ok, i dont want to get my hopes up but i'm pretty sure i have a 21 pin model 1 sega saturn. I opened it up and i just want to make sure i'm counting the right pins. Say i'm looking at the saturn from the front facing me. The ribbon to the right, do i count the pins which connect that ribbon to the cd board? If not, what pins do i count. If i do count those... then i have 21 pins.

2. Arakon

Arakon New Member

the ribbon cable going from the CD unit to the MB. also make sure you compare your board/chip layout to the install instructions first, chances are that you might not find proper instructions for this type.. better be safe than sorry.

3. Gallstaff

Gallstaff Member

I know but which ribbon. I'm not good with this i'm gonna get a friend to solder it. The ribbon in the front right or the ribbon in the back?

4. Gallstaff

Gallstaff Member

Ok i'm pretty sure it's 21 pin. I just wanna make sure, you count the pins on the left side of the ribbon cable in this picture down in the bottom right hand corner. right?

http://www.playthegames.com/satmodstep3.html

5. Arakon

Arakon New Member

on that page, the ribbon shown in the last pic. either side will work for counting, since it's a 1:1 cable.

6. Gallstaff

Gallstaff Member

well i dunno if mine is the same. It's kinda weird. the ribbon cable is sorta folded over and taped with a piece of yellow thin-clear tape. I'm pretty sure it came that way when bought. but any way, what side, if it's not a v saturn like that, would you use for counting?

7. Arakon

Arakon New Member

it's still the same cable, and it still doesn't matter which side you count.

8. Gallstaff

Gallstaff Member

WOO 21 PIN SATURN MODEL 1! TAKE THAT DERBY SATURN, YOU DON'T GOT NOTHIN' ON THIS!

9. Gallstaff

Gallstaff Member

YES, ON WITH THE QUESTOINS! i'm gonna buy a mod chip because i'm too lazy to swap anymore. Ok, the one that playthegames sells, is that the same kind as the lan kwei one?

10. DBOY

DBOY New Member

Game Gizmo, PlaytheGames, and Lan-Kwei all sell the board with two wires you have to solder. So I can say they're the same type. However I don't know if the manufactureres are the same. You'd need to check on that with the individual companies. The chips sold by Lan-Kwei are actually manufactured by XGA Industries of China. If you order them from XGA they're $1 cheaper than going through Lan-Kwei. I believe the XGA website was http://www.xinga.com/ or something to that effect.

11. mal

mal Member

You could always ask Cecilia Chen or Trenton Net to get you one of those really common pass through mods. [​IMG]

12. Gallstaff

Gallstaff Member

aren't those suposed to be easier anyway?

13. mal

mal Member

Of course they are easier to install. Just try to find one first.

14. Gallstaff

Gallstaff Member

meh, i'm too lazy. I'll just get one fran lan-kwei... right after i buy a copy of night trap [​IMG]

15. Digdug2600

Digdug2600 New Member

You could always use the rubber band on a cut-out cd over CD-R trick.

16. mal

mal Member

Is this something you have done yourself Digdug2600?

17. Surfin7

Surfin7 New Member

cool, where can I found one ? [​IMG]

18. DBOY

DBOY New Member

I think he was being sarcastic because nobody except them and seem to find these "really common" mods.

19. mal

mal Member

Sadly DBOY is right.

Just for a change I was being sarcastic. They do seem to be hard to find for most people.

I believe even Cecilia Chen and Trenton Net have had to slum it at some stage and use Lik Sang style mods too.