AHHHHH! MY SEGA CD!!!

have you owned your sega cd since new?

if not, maybe the fuse has already been replaced?

its on the top of the board on mine (ie the side where the megadrive connector is)

sounds to me like you already got a fuse replacement in there. none of the 5 scd 2 units I had in hands (4 US, 1 PAL) had it at the bottom, all had the green one on top.

yeah, i got it used off ebay, is there anything on the underside of yours? any major componets i mean? cause its also odd that the # on the board was on the back, perhaps a different revision of the hardware? my scd says model mk-4102A

replaced the fuse on mine, only to find it still doesnt work, theres some problem with the drive unit i think ,since it takes over a minute saying wait, then says no disc

the disc is spinning and the laser does move, so any suiggestions anyone?

Ummm...check all the connections between the motherboard and the cd assembley? That's all I can think of that you could actually fix.

I just bought a model 1 scd off ebay myself...only to find that it didn't work. The box was smashed up pretty good, so I'm guessing UPS had soomething to do with it. The power light flashed once when I power up the genny, but nothing else. My genesis works fine (tested on a friends scd). I took the SCD apart, only to find that the two magnets (perhaps ferrite bars?) on either side of the connector board were cracked in half. Are those vital to the system, or could it be the fuse (my friend's AC adaptor blew when it was hooked to my SCD). Any help here would be appreciated.

those ferrit rings are just to lower interference, but definately not needed.

it's either your fuse, or the contact to the genny.. the flashing of the power light after turning out usually points to the latter. clean the contacts on both sides.

ssddr: id take a pic of mine, but i dont have a camera about at the minute

on the model 1 question, if its blowing the adaptors up then what i would so first is get in contact with the person you brought it from, also was it insured shiping?

the ferrite bars are just to prevent interference, if thaey are broken leave them out, it shouldnt cause the system to blow or anything like that, i check if youve got any of the metal plating etc touching the board somewhere

Quote: from WeltallXero on 2:59 pm on Dec. 1, 2001

I just bought a model 1 scd off ebay myself...only to find that it didn't work. The box was smashed up pretty good, so I'm guessing UPS had soomething to do with it. The power light flashed once when I power up the genny, but nothing else. My genesis works fine (tested on a friends scd). I took the SCD apart, only to find that the two magnets (perhaps ferrite bars?) on either side of the connector board were cracked in half. Are those vital to the system, or could it be the fuse (my friend's AC adaptor blew when it was hooked to my SCD). Any help here would be appreciated.

If "my friend's AC adaptor" was just any old adapter that you found lying about and *not* rated at at least 1.2A, then I'm not surprised. The old SCD sucks down them amps like there's no tomorrow. Not enough ampage = dead power supply...

I tried cleaning it already....but the most activity I got out of it was when I hooked it to my friend's model 2 genesis (power and acess light went on for about 1 second), so I know that the system is getting some power. The AC adaptor that blew was an old genesis one (the correct unit). I completely detached the black connector piece (that hooks the genny to the motherboard) and cleaned it, some scratches were present due to the broken ferrite, but I didn't see anything that looked like it could prevent a good connection. I'm thinking that when the unit was dropped or whatever, the connector was damaged. I'll try cleaning it again and see what happens. I contacted the seller and they are contacting UPS (it was insured to $100). Hopefully they'll pay to fix it, since I don't want to lose this rare item (I've been looking for a model one since 1995). I'll let you know how it goes, thanks for the help!

OK...I took it apart again, and noticed something strange on the connector unit (connects motherboard to genesis). Several of the pins on a chip (seem to have been streched/snapped due to the ferrite bars being broken. Here are some pictures so you can check it out. I don't know if this would have anything to do with it. Thanks again!

{Nevermind...Geocities won't disp. my pics :( Just PM me if you want to see them}

(Edited by WeltallXero at 6:48 pm on Dec. 4, 2001)

you should be able to re-attach it with a small soldering iron. sega-parts doesn't have those parts as far as I know, but you might wanna email them anyways.

if that fails, I can possibly get you one of them, as I have 2 dead model 1's around.

SWEET! Ok, I soldered the chip back on the connector. When I powered up the genny, the SCD BOOTED UP!!! However, the cd drive seems to be unresponsive. It makes whirring noises, but the tray won't eject. Also, the circuit board with the laser assembly seems to be down at an angle (is it supposed to be like this? I saw springs...). Any ideas what I've got to do next?

you know that you have to hit reset to open the tray?

as for the board being at an angle, which one you you mean? the one to the right and in the back shouldn't be.

Yeah...turns out the drive was stuck...fixed it. Now it slides in and out manually, also the tilted spin motor/laser assembly tilt up to :) I hooked it up and now the lights come on, but are dim. They stay on even if the sega cd is unplugged. My guess is that for some reason the system isn't getting any power now. DO you think the fuse blew, or my solder job opened up (it was very thin)?

check your soldering, if that's ok, check the fuse.. it should be a similar one as mentioned above, but on the small back pcb.

Back