Antivirus

Scared0o0Rabbit

Established Member
So I've got a fresh install of xp to install antivirus on. What antivirus do you recomend? I've used AVG primarily in the past.

I have Avast at work and had it at home but I switched to Antivir on december when I did a whole reinstall. Antivir is better than Avast and non intrusive.

I am using Trend Micro Internet Security 2008. It monitors internet traffic and changes made to system files as well as scanning for viruses and spyware. Probably does everything you would want it to. How would you pick good virus software?

I prefer the eset variaties myself. Currently I'm using Eset Smart Security 3 and it's been my favorite so far. This would be akin to the internet security package Kuta mentioned in features.

If you want _just_ antivirus, I'd highly recommend Eset's NOD32. There is a trial available at eset.com to try it first.

I like Avast, I use it on most of my windows machines. Just curious for those who used avast in the past and switched - in what way is antivir less intrusive?

Antivir has those better features than Avast (for me):

- better Guard scan (when you download files and browse the internet)

- a better and most up to date virus definition files. Avast is known to not update quickly their virus definition with the last virii found.

- non intrusive for me because you never need to restart your PC when installing/updating/removing antivir and also antivir do not refresh your screen every minutes, something avast does all the time

- antivir has a rootkit detection engine (I don't think avast has one)

- avast didn't detect the adober virus I got when I inserted a USB key with it. So it was installed on my PC :( Strangely, avast detected it when I choose the exe in the scan engine => avast has a bad guard scan engine. Avast also didn't detect another virus I got some times ago.

But now, I always use antivir at home + virustotal and another online scanner because using any progs from not 100% sure sources.

NOD32 is also a very good antivirus but not free.

You can check some online AV comparatives like http://www.av-comparatives.org/ to have an idea.

If you can read french, here are 2 great topics to read:

http://forum.malekal.com/ftopic3528.php

http://forum.malekal.com/ftopic3123.php

Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2010

Kaspersky Lab’s latest antivirus software protects you from malicious software of any kind. Also included in the top-notch Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2010 is a virtual keyboard to protect you from password stealing programs, as well as new Kaspersky URL Advisor to warn you from bogus sites so that you can surf worry-free.

McAFee and EsetNod32 are good antivirus programs. I am using EsetNod32 which prevents my system from virus attacks. And for firewall security I prefer ZoneAlarm which is the best one and passed out the Leak test also.

Best antivirus...?

Its all a matter of opinion. I use Avast , I have also got superantispyware and Malwarebytes. I recently changed to Comodo firewall which seems fine and I seem to boot up quicker. They are all free for personal use and I have had no trouble with Viruses Trojans Hackers etc. I also use Windows Defender from the Microsoft site. It is safe to use two anti-spy products but never use more than one A/V as it can cause conflicts. You should run A/V and anti spy weekly.

Back