anyone know where...

I can get a copy of that anti drug commercial where it shows the girl grounded for smoking pot(downloading it)?

Need to ceck those out later. Why is america so anti cannabis? its less addictive than coffee, less toxic than tea and we are thinking of legalising it over here!

There are some stories, not much proof as is usually the case with such things:

The popular story seems to be that hemp growing was outlawed primarily as a result of "yellow journalism" (i.e. sensationalist journalism for the purpose of advancing a political agenda) on the part of William Randolph Hearst, a newspaper owner who also happened to own paper mills. Hearst's papers printed outrageous stories linking violent crimes to the use of marijuana by members of minority races; this was probably the origin of the "reefer madness" myth. It is assumed that his interest in demonizing hemp stemmed from the fact that hemp paper could theoretically be made with less cost and fewer problems than wood paper, obsoleting his company's capital investments in paper-processing facilities. Supposedly, DuPont also had a stake in this due to the fact that their patented chemicals were used in wood paper processes, and the emerging hemp paper processes apparently did not require nearly as much. I've never seen unbiased documentation of this version of history, and it has some of the earmarks of an urban legend. However, I've also never seen anyone refute it.

The other major theory I've heard is that the politicians won't dare legalize marijuana, both for fear of backlash from some groups and because it would be a massive blow to the private prison industry - marijuana is arguably the most commonly used illegal drug, and drug charges are responsible for a substantial portion of our prison population (exact numbers vary by year and by who you choose to believe, but nobody's saying it's a small chunk).

Personally, I think the whole notion of "drugs are bad" is pretty ridiculous. I myself would not choose to use recreational psychoactive drugs for personal reasons, but the anti-drug campaigns seem to be mostly based on cultivating irrational fears. If you're to believe the propaganda, doing "drugs" (it doesn't matter which one; they're all the same) will turn you into a social outcast, put you in a coma, destroy any hope you had of an economically sound future, fry your brain like an egg, financially support the evil terrorists, etc. I don't think that recreational drug use is necessarily a good thing, but the War on Drugs (alcohol, tobacco, and patented prescription drugs don't count, of course) seems to cause more harm than good. One of the latest ad campaigns tries to support the notion that "drug money" goes to terrorist organizations. Gee, that couldn't possibly be because they're illegal, could it? Never mind that there's no need for an international marijuana trade infrastructure - it grows damn near anywhere last I heard. I guess it should just be chalked up to Bush trying to tie every damn political issue he can into The War on Terror (just so people don't forget what a great leader he is come 2004, I guess).

Originally posted by ExCyber@June 02 2002,01:00

I guess it should just be chalked up to Bush trying to tie every damn political issue he can into The War on Terror (just so people don't forget what a great leader he is come 2004, I guess).

I don't know why he's doing it. Family tradition maybe?
biggrin.gif

It didn't get daddy re-elected.

AFAIK, the problem is that Bush I did it wrong - he targeted a single specific regime and brought the Gulf War to something resembling a close (at least in the public mind) instead of making it an open-ended war with no well-defined enemy and making endless repetetive speeches about how we're "rooting out the evil terrorists".

Pot was illigelized with alcohol during the prohibition .

Right before the end of the law the made a law that hemp needed to be taxed and stamped like tobaco , but the government refuses to charge taxes .

The laws vary on this from state to state .

In the state I live in Weed is basically decriminilized , If you get caught with less than an ounce you get a misdameanor and a ticket that you can mail in with a $50 fine .

But in alot of cases the police will just dump your contents because they dont want to fill out paperwork .

A couple of states over though youll go to jail for 6 months for having a nickel bag .

who said weed is less toxic than tea. tea is quite good for you it has no caffiene(it has a chemical that is similar but diff) cannabis blows braincells all to hell. i've watched my friend slowly get slower and slower and he smokes pot and does nothing no other drugs tell me that tea slowly turns you into a vegatable comon do it? i am personally against weed becuz i have seen what it does to my friends and ppl they know. so personally i think it should be banned i know its anti social for a 17 yr old to say that about weed. oh and did i mention i like tea more than coffee.

pretty much the same over here. The one thing over here is that if you are caught with more than one piece then you are done for dealing. Even if you buy a henry (the eighth) and get to louie's (the sixteenths) you are busted. Other than that it is usually just confiscated and ou are given an official caution

Gamefool you are so wrong ...you must be the type of person who sees a commercial on TV and believes it .

Ok I live in Denver I already told you about the laws here pertaining to it above . Also about a year or two ago they legalized it for medicinial perposes .

My suburburb that i live in has the highest % of addmitted adult useage (habitual-occosional) 75% .

Yet its the 3 fastest growing city in the country , highest income per capita in the USA , top 5 best place to find a job , top five best economy in the whole United states . Highest standard of living ect . All for the last 8 years .

I say top 5 becuase one year on CNN it #5 the next #2 .

Aspen has the most expensive per square foot real estate in the whole country to .

I could go on and on .

So again 3 out of 4 adult admit to smoking pot yet things happen here more than anywhere else in the country so explain that ?

who said weed is less toxic than tea.

I think you underestimate the toxicity of caffeine:

Ingestion:

Toxic. The adult mean lethal dose is approximately 10 gm. Large doses may produce palpitation, excitement, insomnia, dizziness, headache and vomiting.

Which conveniently leads to the next point:

tea is quite good for you it has no caffiene(it has a chemical that is similar but diff)

Last I heard, theine was found to be chemically identical to caffeine, not just similar. The only difference between caffeine and theine is that one was discovered in coffee while the other was discovered in tea.

cannabis blows braincells all to hell

Well, apparently it doesn't blow too many of them, because a lot of people seem to use it without turning into drooling morons, probably for the same reason that there aren't hordes of socially inept teenagers afflicted with masturbation-induced blindness.

i've watched my friend slowly get slower and slower and he smokes pot and does nothing no other drugs

People can lose cognitive capacity for any number of reasons - poor nutrition, stress, bad sleeping habits, preexisting brain problems, etc.

Also, are you really sure this guy does no other drugs? No caffeine? No nicotine? No alcohol? Pot isn't "spiced up" with anything?

tell me that tea slowly turns you into a vegatable comon do it?

I won't make that claim, but try seeing how a caffeine addict does when quitting cold-turkey...

so personally i think it should be banned

I personally think it shouldn't. All the ban seems to have done is create a black market. It certainly didn't help your friend, did it?

yea well that could be true but i got lectured by a chemist on there differences apparently he had to do a study about it when he went through university :S. anyways i dunno i seen alot of kids become dumbasses from it. but they smoke it more than once or twice.

Originally posted by ExCyber@June 01 2002,17:38

Well, apparently it doesn't blow too many of them, because a lot of people seem to use it without turning into drooling morons, probably for the same reason that there aren't hordes of socially inept teenagers afflicted with masturbation-induced blindness.

I have to disagree with you in something...

Mariguana consumers who are also geniouses at work tend to follow the same patterns as the socially inept teenagers afflicted with masturbation-induced "blindness".

Masturbation doesn't induce blindness; but the same things as an addict has (not only psysically speaking).

Uh, it does kill brain cells. AND it knocks out your dopeimine receptors in your brain, sensors that let you feel pleasure. And when that happens, you have to do more and more to get the same high. So as a result you get addicted and you can't ever think at your maximum capactity anymore.

But screw the subject of smoking it, if someone is thick enough to ignore the consequences, who cares, theyre just hurting themself (Unless they have kids to raise.)

Hemp should be legalized becuase it can make fabric as soft as cotten but is 10 times as durable. It also makes ropes a lot stronger then the synthetic ones they make today. AND it would allow us to grow our own fuel, which is a lot higher ocatane then gas, is a titally renewable resource as opposed to oil, and burns a helluva a lot cleaner. The plant that is used to make this is not the same one people use to get high. In fact, when this plant is growing anywhere near it it reduces the potency of it by 80percent.

Theres no reason why this other version of the plant is illegal, but the US govt is stupid. Just like they still don;t allow people to distill thier own alcohol from cornmash etc becuase they want thier taxes. The US gov't is very corrupt, all they see is dollar signs. I live in a country controlled by kickbacks from the big corporations. They stifle technological progress in the name of keeping thier bank accounts fat.

The plant that is used to make this is not the same one people use to get high.

That depends on what you consider to be the "same" plant. AFAIK, they're both cannabis sativa, just selectively engineered for different traits and cultivated/processed in different ways.

AND it knocks out your dopeimine receptors in your brain, sensors that let you feel pleasure. And when that happens, you have to do more and more to get the same high. So as a result you get addicted and you can't ever think at your maximum capactity anymore.

This seems to make sense, but I wouldn't be particularly worried unless the effects are particularly long-term or permanent. I've not seen any really solid information on marijuana's long-term effects, that's always been the unknown quantity in the resources I've seen. Do you know of any studies that have been done?

Uh, it does kill brain cells.

I never claimed it didn't. Lots of things kill brain cells; it's the overall effect that matters.

Theres no reason why this other version of the plant is illegal, but the US govt is stupid.

There's probably a fear that industrial hemp crops would be used to hide marijuana crops. Although this actually seems to be infeasible, it would still be likely to cause public outcry. The US government is probably just making sure that facts don't get in the way of politics, as usual. The fact that Dronabinol/Marinol is legal also makes me suspect that the hemp cultivation ban is actually a sort of government-imposed economic control.

Back