Crystalis - does anything emulate it correctly?

ExCyber

Staff member
Just wondering, but it seems like every single NES emulator I've tried to run Crystalis in makes the screen shake in an extremely annoying way whenever a text box comes up. Does anyone know if any emulator runs Crystalis correctly, or what it's doing that causes this problem? I'm thinking it has something to do with interlaced vs. progressive display, but I'm not really sure...

Im not sure about this but I think that the Crystalis rom that has been circulated through the web is just a bad rip. I have noticed problems similar to that of the Crystalis rom on other games as well, and somtimes I find that their is another copy out their that works fine with emulators. Try downloading the game at several different sites, you might be able to find a copy that works properly.

FCE Ultra seems to run it without problems. I guess it's just a timing bug that a lot of emulators have...

<font color="#00FF00">*VertigoXX loads his BFG-9000 and takes aim at the site regulars who should know better than to discuss the dreaded "R" word around these parts...*</font>

Hey, Karny, can we start a shootin' gallery in here?

Look, this message board has too few regulars as it is; you can't afford to start shooting us. :biggrin:

edit: besides, if you shoot a BFG9000, it'll just kill us all no matter where you were pointing it...

(Edited by ExCyber at 1:52 pm on April 19, 2002)

LOL!!!

Seriously tho... talking about emulation is fine.

Begging for roms on the other hand.... is an entirely different situation!

FCE Ultra is the best Nintendo emu in my opinion, whatever people say about the others. I wish Rocknes would work better, because the GUI is so nice. All it does is crash my machine for some unfathomable reason.

Nester(unofficial) is quite nice but if you don't have the most godly rom dump for that game it will spit an error message out at you.

admin, someone mentioned ROMs here! He broke a rule! As it says, "mention ROMs and die" ! Either

1. ban the person who wrote the thread

or

2. move this thread to the translations and hacking section

admin, someone mentioned ROMs here! He broke a rule! As it says, "mention ROMs and die" !
And, as Karny said, talking about emulation is not necessarily a problem. Strictly speaking, my question was intended to help me find out whether or not Crystalis was exploiting some undocumented behavior of the PPU. I didn't ask for this directly because I didn't expect anyone to recall a snippet of 6502 assembly language from memory. I asked about games with diagonal scrolling for similar reasons.

<span style='font-size:9pt;line-height:100%'>Quote: from calganagain on 10:46 pm on Aug. 20, 2002

To die you must be alive. Please prove excyber lives.</span>
Hmm, that's a tough one. I don't even know where to start. I hate proofs.

Back