Donkey Kong Country (SNES) - Game of the day - 13 August 200

Back in the day when sprites and mode 7 were king, DKC stood as possibly the most unique game ever, graficly speaking that is. When the game was first shown at game trade shows, everyone was wowed by its sheer beauty, but when asked what special chips it used, nintendo replied "none". It was truly a masterpiece of coding.
Past that, was it any fun? It most certainly was (IMO). The controls were tight, variety of enemies and friends along the way were very large, and the game was the perfect length to boot. Not too long as to become redundent, or too short as to be played multiple times to get your monmeys worth. Sound was also well composed, with effects and music that fit their environments perfectly.
All in all, DCK was a marvle of 2D gaming goodness, a no one that owns a SNES should be without it.

Now its your peoples turn, what do you, or did you, think of this game?

All around fun game with not just perty gfx but an awesome soundtrack and great gameplay to go along with it.

I'm also a big fan.

When I was a kid, we didn't have access to Nintendo consoles here, it was Megadrive or nothing... I used to read international gaming mags and drool over the awesome graphics that the SNES could produce.

Fortunately a few years later i found someone who was selling their SNES and about 30 games (including Donkey Kong).

Sadly I wasn't able to enjoy the game when it was intended as I already owned a Saturn, PSX and a N64 so the graphics didn't impress me as much as I think they would have had I played it in '95 or there abouts. Needless to say I really injoyed the games and the virtually timeless gameplay.

I even remember some people even thouht it was a game for the, at that time yet to be released, Nintendo 64, when they looked at the pictures in magazines.

Back