DVD-enabled Wii in 2007 ?

vbt

Staff member
The new model will only be available in Japan. Nintendo has confirmed in an interview with the UK gaming magazine Edge that they are planning to launch the DVD-playing Wii some time in early 2007, but that the company has no plans to make it available in the North American or European markets.

Full article here

It's not fully new :) but it's one of the things I need with the Wii, the sad thing is Nintendo conformed DVD playback only for Japan.

I reads somewhere that DVD players are less common in Japan than in the US. These days, you can get a DVD player for as little as $30 here.

schi0249 said:
I reads somewhere that DVD players are less common in Japan than in the US.
Maybe
These days, you can get a DVD player for as little as $30 here.
Sure but a DVD player takes space and I don't have one for instance. I was looking for a mini DVD player and it's impossible to find one (front loading 19cm of width). The wii would be the solution for me :) It fits perfectly where I wanted to put a DVD player.

I would think something like that may be possible. It is a DVD drive after all. All that is mssing (to my knowledge) is the software telling it how to run a movie. Maybe they can make it an optional channel you can download/purchase. They said the reason it was pulled was to cut the price.

This reminds me of the DVD enabled GCN that Panasonic (or should I say Matsushita?) made some time ago.

SM said:
This reminds me of the DVD enabled GCN that Panasonic (or should I say Matsushita?) made some time ago.
Yes but it was expensive(or became expensive). This time even current Wii should be able to read DVD. How ? I don't know yet maybe channels like said before or BIOS update.

Back