E3 2008 : starts on 15/07/2008

Wait, what about Sonic and the Black Knight, the sequel to Sonic and the Secret Rings?

Briefly: Sonic Unleashed (or Sonic World Tour) will appear on the PS3, Wii and 360, but only the 360 and PS3 will be using the hedgehog engine (next gen sonic engine); the Wii's version will have two different levels and it does actually look a bit different, graphically.

There's two Sonic personas - the one we know, and then by night, Sonic becomes a were-hog and has melee combat. It looks better than it sounds.

For Sonic and the Black Knight, it's a Wii exclusive and Sega apparently is going to keep doing this fantasy series thing with Sonic, which I think is pretty neat. In any event, he goes back to the days of Camelot. The nunchuck is utilized this time around, so hopefully no super-gimmicky wii controls.

All in all, Sonic is having his own renaissance, and it's about time.

---

Sonic Chronicles was featured at E3, which is a joint venture with Bioware. It looks like Mario & Luigi All Stars for the GBA; if so, it'll be fantastic.

Golden Axe: Beast Riders was previewed. No multiplayer (!?). Graphically is very. brown. We'll see.

Bayonetta (you're an angel killing witch); Alpha Protocol which seems to be MGS inspired; Samba De Amigo will have downloadable content (huzzah!); Madworld looks as brutal as ever; Valkyria Chronicles was demoed; Total War and Stormwise are two new RTSes.

All in all, a pretty decent showing from E3 by Sega. I'm excited about Madworld in spite of myself; Bayonetta is a DMC clone with a heroine (some of the crew designing the game are from Capcom). Sega dropped the ball - hard - on Golden Axe.

Back