Episode ii *may be some spoilers*

Curtis

Established Member
Hey all,

I've just come back from the Australian premier of Episode II and I thought I'd share some of my opinioins with ya's.

Well, I think I'll start by saying that I'm somewhat underwhelmed. The acting, although an improvement over Ep I, is still wooden, ocasionally awkward and worst of all, badly scripted. Most of the one liners just fall (with the exception of some of the C3P0 moments). The story, however, is a major improvement over Ep I. It is *very* slow to start though, and the beginning houses some of the most awkward acting/scripting. I can tell you the ending is superb, with the coolest ever battle sequence - and Yoda kicks some ass in the most awesome way possible. The Yoda fight maybe slightly overcooked, and lots of people found it very funny, although I'm sure that's not the intention.

The CG is a little ho-hum by now, with the usual sweeping vistas/curvy buildings, but mostly looks fairly convincing. there are times where it appears they have over extended themselves in the CG department, and the effect looks very cheesy (the "water world" to name one such occurrence).

Music is the usual excellent John Williams score, which really soars in the final scenes. Some of the sound effects seem a little off; some of the ship engines and the explosions in the asteroid field scene just sound weird.

Like I said before, the start (first hour or so) is very slow, even tedious, but it really picks up pace latter on. It may be one of the most awesome endings yet - very Empire Strikes Back.

Overall a great improvement over Ep I (very little Jar Jar!), but still not anywhere near the quality of the earlier Staw Wars sagas. Someone mentioned to me that he thought that the Lord of the Rings trilogy would be the trilogy for the next generation. I'm inclined to agree with him.

And you'll likely make an impression from having watched a shitty copy from some fool setting up a home video camera in a theater.

I'm sorry, but that's no way to watch a movie.

GO to a theatre, enjoy the loud surround sound, the silver halide film being projected to a big screen. Erm, well I guess this one wasn't traditional film, was it? But you get my point.

Besides, theatres are a fun place to make out.

I saw spiderman last night , there were 20 tents outside the theatre so i guess its that time again .

spiderman was depression the cg in that movie sucked and they trashed the story line horribly damn those hollywood millionaires. anyways i can't wait for ep 2 i just wanna see yoda kick ass
biggrin.gif

man, pirates. dont be pirating a movie that hasnt even be fucking released dick. wait a week or so. that way the movie can make back the money it spent.

as for the movie, yoda rocked it. rocked it so much.

Originally posted by Curtis@May 15 2002,21:59

Someone mentioned to me that he thought that the Lord of the Rings trilogy would be the trilogy for the next generation. I'm inclined to agree with him.

I reckon that depends on how the next two Matrix movies go.

Well yes, there is that...

I suppose the same could be said for the next Spiderman film - it seems to be getting a very good reception in the US of A.

Personally, I think the best films are the ones that come from nowhere and astound every one - the original Matrix being one like that. Sequals are generally over hyped and disappointing.

Time will tell...
smile.gif

Originally posted by Curtis@May 17 2002,02:46

Well yes, there is that...

I suppose the same could be said for the next Spiderman film - it seems to be getting a very good reception in the US of A.

Personally, I think the best films are the ones that come from nowhere and astound every one - the original Matrix being one like that. Sequals are generally over hyped and disappointing.

Time will tell...
smile.gif

I have a haunch that the villain in the next Spider-Man movie will be none other than Venom (and perhaps some cameo appearances of Cletus Kasady, the human host of Carnage), at least I hope so.
tongue.gif

In terms of Star Wars, it would be called prequels.
biggrin.gif

there was another guy that they made a refrence to during the movie, i cant put my finger on his name at the moment but there are 2 villians that are highly likely to be the villian in the next one. venom being one. ill prolly think of the other later.

who else here saw the movie at 12 am on thursday and waited in line for good seats?(not tickets, but i guess itd be the same.)

i saw it at 12 am on thursday. i only waited in line to get in for about 45 minutes, and still got good seats. and i didnt wait in line to buy tickets at all. in fact, i didnt even see any other people at the theater at all besides the clerk selling me the tickets.

where do you live???

tickets went on sale here at 11 am on wednesday, and i got the tickets at like 5. there was no one there either cept the few who camped to be first in line. then i went at like 9:30 pm or so and waited till 12:05 to go in. but when i got there the line was pretty long. and here they sold out 3 showings which they showed at once and were determined by what your tickets said.

venom and carnage will be in the 3rd movie. doc oc and somebody else are reported to be in the 2nd. and its my belief that c-3po is the jar jar of this movie. i absolutely cringed durig that whole battle because of his comments. also, id love to go to one of the 45 or so theatres (12 alone in the california area) to see this movie digitally. *drool* i liked when obi wan was talking to that fat creature in the restaurant and you could see his skin moving independant of his shirt (evident where the big hole was). good cg use there.

I suppose it's a little late for this now, but here's my compressed review:

BAD: Dialogue somewhat flat, story paced a bit awkwardly, C3PO has 2 or 3 exceedingly cheesy one-liners that were probably thrown in for little kids, one bad decision by a character who should know better (evidently in the interests of storyline advancement, so I try not to think about it too much), slightly overdone CG in a couple places

GOOD: Jar Jar's presence minimized, C3PO's presence not quite as annoying as expected, killer battle scenes (of course), Mace Windu and Yoda get to kick some ass, storyline advancement, Natalie Portman in tight clothes (yeah, it's pandering, but what are you gonna do?
tongue.gif
), Boba Fett not a super-irritating whiny brat

Overall: Not earth-shattering, but it was fun. Go see it if you don't mind Star Wars and feel like killing a couple hours. If you love or hate Star Wars, this one probably won't change your mind.

At least Jar Jar sort of had a point in the film, standing in at that conference. I particularly liked the blatant ripping off of half of Natalie Portman's costume (William Shatner style) to expose her midriff for the remainder, I wonder how George Lucas justified that one to himself. I felt pretty sorry for little Boba too, holding his dad's helmet.

It was definately better than ep 1, but still not that great. I guess since we all know it's a three part deal you could say that although they don't stand up too well on their own they have built the foundations for a really cool climax now. Weird not to be too impressed by two films and still be really looking forward to the next one..

I think there is an inherent difficulty in making prequels in that it is next to impossible to generate tension. You know what happens to the characters and what the final outcome is.

Lucas, that is why you fail.

I think there is an inherent difficulty in making prequels in that it is next to impossible to generate tension. You know what happens to the characters and what the final outcome is.

That's not really true. Maybe the audience knows what the final outcome is, but when it comes right down to it the final outcome isn't necessarily the most interesting part. Although I'm not convinced that Lucas has done as good of a job with the prequels as he might have, I do think that Star Wars lends itself to that type of storytelling due to the contrasts between the different parts of the story.

Spiderman sequels... They set up The Lizard and Green Goblin 2. "Dr. Connors fired me today." Dr. Curt Connors - geneticist who mixes reptile DNA to try to grow back his arm, turning him into a mindless creature. Harry Osbourne (Norman's son) becomes the second Green Goblin, blaming Spidey for his father's death.

My bet is that 2 will be Doc Ock and The Lizard. 3 will probably be Goblin 2.

The problem with putting Venom and / or Carnage into the movie is that there is no way to stay true to the origin without introducing a whole bunch of other Marvel Universe heroes and doing the Secret Wars.

That said, wouldn't Brad Pitt (re: his performance in "12 Monkeys") make a perfect Cletus Cassiday?

Originally posted by VertigoXX@May 22 2002,01:38

Spiderman sequels... They set up The Lizard and Green Goblin 2. "Dr. Connors fired me today." Dr. Curt Connors - geneticist who mixes reptile DNA to try to grow back his arm, turning him into a mindless creature. Harry Osbourne (Norman's son) becomes the second Green Goblin, blaming Spidey for his father's death.

My bet is that 2 will be Doc Ock and The Lizard. 3 will probably be Goblin 2.

The problem with putting Venom and / or Carnage into the movie is that there is no way to stay true to the origin without introducing a whole bunch of other Marvel Universe heroes and doing the Secret Wars.

That said, wouldn't Brad Pitt (re: his performance in "12 Monkeys") make a perfect Cletus Cassiday?

I was thinking Edward Norton would make a better Cletus Cassidy.

Back