Genny 2/3 s-video mod

less than 2 bucks.

I paid about 90 cents for all. the caps and resistor were around 10-12 cents each, and the socket was 55 cents or something.

there's not that much skill involved either.. it's rather easy, the pins are big enough.. you just need decent equipment.

sarcasm.gif
Arakon, your diagram shows the resistor connected to the 220 uF cap but your description says it connects to the 100 uF cap. Which is correct? (I assume the text description) :woah:

Another quick question. Could this be done to a CDX?? Other than that it is a bitch to take apart and put back together correctly, how hard would it be? Has anyone here ever put their CDX back together correctly? Or at least so the lid hinge still works?
tongue.gif

actually the picture was correct. fixed now.

it's possible to add to the CDX IF it has the same RGB encoder. good look finding the space for it, tho.

A question: What mods are needed to play all games from all regions on a model 2 genny? Just a US/JAP/PAL switch and a english/japanese switch? Do I also need a 50/60 hrz switch thing? Thanks, appreciate it. Later.

Well, this is very interesting!

About the model 2 Genesis - The Model 2s I've seen (other than the later version with CXA1645) have a Fairchild RGB encoder chip, with 24 pins, rather than a Sony one.

I assume it's functionally similar - if not identical - to the CXA1145, the pinout looks the same anyway. I'm game to try it if no-one else has done so already...

Mike

the chip is labeled mb3514 in the older model 2s and has the same pinout as the genesis 1 chip, so the mod remains the same.

ok, could the mod be done to the 32x??

with the way that the short AV cable hooks up between the genesis output and into the 32x AV input, i would think that there could be a mod done to the 32x to get Svideo out of it, no....

Well I'm looking at the guts of my 32x right now and I can't see any chip that look remotely like it would have anything to do with video encoding. The chips I can see are:

Sega 315-5788A (small 32 pin IC)

Sega 315-5684 (another smaal 32 pin IC)

3M03AN (tiny 8 pin IC)

P64AL (tiny 16 pin IC)

Another chip that has a blue wire hot glued to the top, obscuring the writing.

And thats it. The Hitachi SH-1 (2?) chips are mounted vertically on the bit that plugs into the Genesis and I haven't taken that out, so there may be something on there. I wouldn't hold too much hope though.

I think the 32x must handle video in a different way to the Genesis, probably due to the fact the it is mostly a pass-through device.

It is worth pointing out that the unit I am working on is a European model, which may have some bearing.

Back