How to mod a 21 pin Saturn

FAKK: Is it just MK80000 or is it MK80000A? Mine says MK80000A so if it is the same I was thinking maybe I should try whatever you did too. I will have to read this whole thread first.

its just 80000 not 80000A but my Sanyo says 80000A also take note you can easily tell if its a Sanyo board inside because of the model # my sega model number says IV after sega enterprises my Sanyo says SY/P after sega enterprises....neato huh?
wink.gif

Hey is that the same saturn you already successfully modded the normal way? I had my brother solder the wire to the 64pin chip, and he did it really well, so I wasn't sure about disconnecting it especially because mal or someone said the points A and B still conduct electricity between each other either way. So what I am asking is does your work both of those ways or only the second way?

FAKK2's mod also worked when it had the 'signal' wire connected to the 8th pin of the 64 pin IC.

yup, it works both ways with the signal wire attatched to the 64 pin chip, the normal way....or MAL's way with the solderbridge between jumper A to B dont even need a wire, just make the solder flow to connect the two.
wink.gif
and I disconnected the signal wire from the chip and presto it still works perfectly.
smile.gif
Im testing out all my games that I have and so far all work perfectly...

simply unsolder the wire from the modboard and bridge A to B and test it out, if it dont work simply resolder the wire to the modboard...very easy test...

UPDATE:

well, Ive been experimenting on the mod situation and here is my results...MAL your method works like a charm on my 64 pin chip unit but as for the Saurn Sanyo unit, no work!! I did it the way that someone in here posted on how to do the sanyo unit...well all I get is the sega CD screen and it looks at the cd just like any other and thinks its an audio cd, same with the origonal cds....take the mod out and it works fine....with normal cds ofcoarse....so I guess its just certain sega saturn systems are pickier than others about the mod you use...NOTE my modchip came from Lik-Sang and is missing many parts!!

Ok, I just received my new modboard and tried installing it, it worked on my model 1. Another confirmation here
wink.gif

Board was set on 0014, did everything as described by mal, ok ok I was lazy so I didn't solder anything, I just wrapped the blue wire around the pin that connected to pin 1 on the ribbon interface and taped the red wire to 5v on the power supply, but it works.

Congratulations Xai!
biggrin.gif

I still stand by my last statement though. ???

Where did you buy this mod from? I think you said that you got the last one from Lik-Sang. Are they identicle?

Now we've got a Saturn that wouldn't be modded with one modboard that now works with a new one...

I'm perplexed. Happy, but perplexed.

It's either the fact that I messed up the wires, or that the board broke because I was playing with all those voltage settings. I bought the new one from gamegizmo after I heard about the success with mods from over there. It was basically the same as the lik-sang one, I see no differences, just that the gamegizmo one was a heck of a lot cleaner, but I don't think that matters cause it all looks like it's from the same source.

I'm mainly interested in whether the chip numbers are the same on both mod boards. One of my theories (speculations) is that perhaps on a recent batch or revision of mod boards the 64 pin compatabilty has somehow become broken.

I still think I just fried the thing or something
wink.gif

But just to check with others, here are some chip numbers for you.

http://home.hawaii.rr.com/duocdx/compare.gif

Comparison without the numbers, image from the one that shows up on lik-sang's page. This should help you know which chips I'm refering to when I state the numbers.

First board, could be damaged, did not work

(Source: Lik-Sang):

Large Rectangular Chip: EM78P156ELP 0151D BP1CL1

Square Chip in the middle: GAL16V8B 25LJ H546B15

Small Rectangular Chip: 74HC157 90A001

Black female connector for ribbon.

Second board, works perfectly:

(Source: Gamegizmo)

Large Rectangular Chip: EM78P156ELP 0114B BC1442

Square Chip in the middle: GAL16V8B 25LJ H536P03

Small Rectangular Chip: P71AB DM74LS157M

White female connector for ribbon.

Both display the same code right above the female ribbon connector (This cannot be seen in the image because the stuff I wrote about the connector is covering it). SSIC8B

The large rectangular chip only looks a little different cosmetically. The square chip looks exactly the same. However, that small rectangular chip looks like it has a different logo next to the number on each chip, and the chip numbers are easier to see since they are printed in white, instead of yellow on the first board I had.

This is the best comparison of the boards that I can offer, I hope this can help. I would take pictures, but my camera is not really high quality and can't zoom well.

I will be posting some installation pictures in another topic to show what I've done to get the board in my 64-pin IC, 21-pin ribbon model 1 saturn.

Originally posted by Xai@June 15 2002,18:16

First board, could be damaged, did not work:

Large Rectangular Chip: EM78P156ELP 0151D BP1CL1

Square Chip in the middle: GAL16V8B 25LJ H546B15

Small Rectangular Chip: 74HC157 90A001

Black female connector for ribbon.

My mod that won't work with the 64 pin Saturn has the same EMC (rectangular) IC. A pattern emerging?

I'll check and test my older mod tommorrow. Well, later today.
wink.gif

Well it's ended up being over a week.
sad.gif

Not much good news either. My older mod acts very differently from the newer one. It won't do anything (no amination or disc activity) on the 0014 bridge, yet still only will play audio tracks of a CDR with 0019 bridged.

i am getting 2 mods this week, i am guessing they will be like my lik-sang one, if they are not ill drop in a msg

ill be trying to install them on a 64 pin saturn..

ps where can i get them ribbon cables from ? apart from lan-kwei

Ok guys new here and it looks like I've got similar probs to what you've all had although after reading this extremely long thread you've given me a few more ideas.

I have a the 64 pin model which causes all the probs ???

I purchased the mod from lan-kwei

I installed the mod following the original instructions and the drive wouldn't even spin then to boot originals. So I went back to checking all my connections removing and replacing etc

I have noticed that the machine works fine with no mod attached etc.

Then if I attach the dataline to pin8 it still works fine (this is without connecting the mod to the ribbon but just having it sat outside)

However as soon as I attach the power line to the mod the drive no longer spins!

Ie all I have connected is mod to Pin8 and mod to power and the drive will no longer spin.

Is this correct?

I tried reversing the ribbon cable as mine is twisted and inserting the mod and it still doesn't spin.

The one thing I haven't tried is inserting the mod theother way round which some people seem to have had success with, so I will try that asap. However I'm still intrigued by the fact that having the mod sat outside and connecting the data and the power then stops the CD from spinning would this seem correct to everyone?

Ok when I turned the mod the other way around as suggested on here the machine booted ok and the drive spins but all I get is the music player and it will play audio tracks.

I tried adjusting to 0019 etc no change, I removed the connection from the pin 8 and back on to point B of the mod, I tried everything I could think of. I assume that the mod was working because the machine did boot and the drive spin it just went to the cd player all the time.

Eventually after much messing around I think I may have fried the mod anyway now it got hot and now the drive no longer spins.

If I remove all the mod etc the machine is still fine.

So it would seem that the mod from lan-kwei is not compatible with a PAL 64pin Saturn does anyone know of one that has worked from which company?

Or can anyone suggest anything else?

I'm want to try another mod in this one first and then I will get another Saturn.

Back