How to mod a 21 pin Saturn

I'd try Gamegizmo for a mod for your 64 pin Saturn.

Xai started with a Lik-Sang mod that didn't work in his 64 pin Saturn and then got one from Gamegizmo that worked.

OK I have ordered one from gamegizmo to try them next
wink.gif

I didn't get my first one from lik-sang but from lan-kwei, does it make any difference that my saturn is PAL?

Are all you guys modding a US NTSC saturn?

I've got a mod from Lik-Sang and one from Lan-Kwei and neither of them have worked in a 64 pin Saturn.

However, they do work fine in my PAL 32 pin Saturn.

Got the mod from gamegizmo and it appears to work, the machine boots fine and it go's to the cd player screen and says cd is incompatible for this country, when trying to boot a jap cdr.

So I need an action replay too, I did have one from lan-kwei but it doesnt appear to do anything. So I'm about to order one of these from gamegizmo too.

My advice to anyone is definitely by your mod and action replay from gamegizmo. plus I ordered Friday and it arrived monday thats the best service ive ever had from USA!

Maybe a later revision of modboard has broken compatability with 64 pin Saturns...

Could be time to order another mod.
smile.gif

So how many people have tried ordering from gamegizmo and moding a 64 pin. I have one but have been hesitant to attempt moding due to the success rate. Those who have modded successfully, what mod procedure are you using? The one in the pics on the earlier thread?

If you'd read through this thread you'd know that atleast two people have got Gamegizmo mods to work in their 64 pin Saturns. Both Xai and bobbydavro tried a mod from Lik-Sang or Lan-Kwei whic didn't work (64 pin incompatible??) and then replaced it with a mod from Gamegizmo which worked. The success rate sounds pretty good to me.
smile.gif

You've got to understand that this isn't an exact science. There are no definate answers until more people test the theory.

I tried one from playstationmodchip.com and it didn't work on my 64pin, so I decided that the swap trick would be fine based on how much I play it anyway. No sense paying the full price of another saturn for broken modchips when I could just actually get the other saturn instead if the swap trick happens to break this one. I gave it my best shot, but my modchip is just sitting here doing nothing now.

mal; For your information I have been following this thread from the beginning. I was just trying to find out if more people have tried gamegizmo's mods.

Is there any noticable difference between the Lik-Sang/ Lan-Kwei mods and one from gamegizmo?

The mod procedure in the pictures should works for any 64-pin saturn.

As for the differences between modboards. It really looks like it's made from the same place. The only difference between the boards are the cosmetic appearance of some of the chips, and the numbers on them, and the ribbon socket can be either black or white, I had a post earlier which had a more detailed comparison between the two boards I have but it doesn't seem to be that useful.

Oh, and Norberto also had success with the gamegizmo mod.

Oh, and since bobbydavro has already put in a plug for gamegizmo, let me put in a plug as well. They're really straightforward and extremely quick, I received my board just a few days after ordering, I was suprised it came so quick. Of course... the prices there are a bit higher... ??? Ah well.

schi0249 - Thanks for updating my information
tongue.gif

I'm sorry if I offended you in the way I replied, but there's not a hell of a lot of info about compatability about and people that have already modded their systems haven't really been forthcoming with information either.
sad.gif

Xai is right though, there are now three people that have recently got a gamegizmo mod to work in their 64 pin Saturn. They sound like pretty good odds to me.

As far as differences between Lik-Sang/Lan-kwei and Gamegizmo mods go, there seems to be little cosmetic difference but I'm guessing some significant difference in terms of the way the mod works.

Did the manufacturer put out a bad batch? Who knows? There does seem to be a clear pattern though.

I would suggest everyone get their mods from gamegizmo, as far as I can tell noone has got a mod from lan-kwei/lik-sang to work on a 64 pin machine but we have from gamegizmo.

About using satconv, I can't be bothered with the hassle to be honest
wink.gif
The cost doesn't bother me I just want to be able to play all them lovely Jap shooters full scren 60HZ
biggrin.gif

I did the joining JP1 to make the machine 60HZ thats worked a treat, now I just need my action replay and all the games will run fine.

I also picked up one of those afterburner light thingies from gamegizmo at the same time so some more modding to be done soon as well
smile.gif

Hi - I have not posted for a while! But I have been following this thread with great interest. So much so I ordered a new mod-chip from lan-kwei (I was buying a GB bridge for $45 inc. shipping so I asked how much it would be if I also got a Saturn mod chip - $50!! $5 extra for the chip!!). I already have a modded 64 pin (lik-sang chip), soldered (sacrificing TWO Saturns on the way) to pin 8, 0019 bridged and installed back to front and it works so I am not touching it!!

I dug out a 64 pinner I shagged whilst trying to install the first chip - I got solder all over the place. I managed to clean it all up with a safety pin and got it working again. So on to the new chip (which is identical to the lik-sang chip). Solder A + B on the mod chip, 0014 bridged and install it back to front - it didn't work (slow to boot, clicking noises and big red ball on the right). Swapped 0014 to 0019 and it looked promising - no red balls or clicking just the normal small green cubes but alas! It would not recognise Saturn games, only read the audio tracks. I think Mal got the same result.

What a bummer! Never mind, it only cost $5!

Originally posted by unclecuddles@July 16 2002,08:27

So much so I ordered a new mod-chip from lan-kwei...

...solder A + B on the mod chip, 0014 bridged and install it back to front - it didn't work (slow to boot, clicking noises and big red ball on the right). Swapped 0014 to 0019 and it looked promising - no red balls or clicking just the normal small green cubes but alas! It would not recognise Saturn games, only read the audio tracks. I think Mal got the same result.

That's why I'm enqiring about getting a gamegizmo mod.
smile.gif

Hey, something I noticed when I took the mod out. When I put it back together it didn't work. So I took the ribbon out and turned it arround and it works. The mod still doesn't work, but the Saturn does.

Weird.

I wouln't have thought this made any difference. The ribbon twists in the middle so that half has writing on and the other half is white with a blue strip at the end. I first had the end with the writing up inserted in the cd board which didn't work. So I turned it around and it worked.

Maybe the connectors are worn on one end of the ribbon 'cos I notice the slot in the the cd board had contacts on both edges whereas the slot in the motherboard only has contacts running along one side.

My three mods arrived recently.

As you may have read, I tried both a Lik-Sang mod and a Lan-Kwei mod in a '64 pin' Saturn and had no luck with them at all. Both mods work fine in a '32 pin' Saturn, so they aren't dead.

A few SX members had posted success with Gamegizmo mods.

I'm quite happy to confirm that for you now.
biggrin.gif

All three have been tested and work flawlessly with the 'A+B' method of connection I outlined in my other thread.

Why these mods work and Lik-Sang/Lan-Kwei mods don't is anyones guess. How long Gamegizmo will have them I have no idea either.

All I can suggest is that if you have a '64 pin' Saturn that you want to mod, order today.
smile.gif

I successfully modded my 32-pin IC, 21-pin ribbon Saturn using the A-to-B method. Thanks mal!

I found that the CD wouldn't spin if the clock cable wasn't connected (or a wasn't connected to
cool.gif
, I also found that the CD wouldn't spin if there was no power (or the incorrect voltage) going to the modchip.

On my power supply, there are 5 'pins', as opposed to the 4 I normally see in photos on the net. The 5v 'pin' appears to be the middle one of the 5. (well, it works, in any case)

I am slowly getting confused about the number of power supplys used in Saturns. So far I´ve seen 3 different ones, one US and two EUR from model 1 and 2 (the us was a 2). The us was quite a bit shorter and the connector was mover forward a lot on the MB which prevented me from using a PAL psu on this one. All three had identical pin counts though, and all three had the voltages for each pin clearly labeled on the psu board! so why guess which one is 5V when it´s printed right next to it?

mine didnt have it printed actually

for the record ive got one of the consoleking/videogamecompany mods to work fine in a pal 64 pin saturn wiring it up like the instructions tell you to without a problem as well

Back