How to mod a 21 pin Saturn

There's nothing I can think of to help at the moment, except perhaps trying a mod from Gamegizmo.

Interesting though... It's a different version of the Sanyo CD from my Euro one. Mine's a 610-6185-30.

Hi again,

I have discovered a solution to make the mod work.

The Sanyo drive uses 16 Mhz instead of 8 Mhz.

On the drive's bottomside you can still see where

the 8 Mhz component was meant to be mounted.

I simply attached the blue cable to the solder pad

that goes to pin 7 on the Sanyo chip nearby. Power

cable went to 2nd power supply pin from the TOP.

Blue cable goes to A. As I have a HST-0019 Saturn,

I jumpered 0019 on the mod.

And now, everything works fine.
biggrin.gif

I hope this information is helpful for all people

who have troubles with Sanyo drives.

Here are some pics:

http://www.quasar-x.com/pics/etc/DSC02904.JPG

http://www.quasar-x.com/pics/etc/DSC02905.JPG

http://www.quasar-x.com/pics/etc/DSC02906.JPG

Bye

Sebastian
cool.gif

I'd tried that but with no success... but I hadn't tried the other (0019) setting.

Time to go warm up the soldering iron.
biggrin.gif

[edit] Still no go I'm afraid. I guess it's something to do with the PC Trap.

Hi mal,

sorry it doesn't work for you. PC Trap seems

to be a good guess.

Is the trap a simple pin changer? Or are there

any components on it besides the 2 slots?

Bye

Sebastian

I haven't got one in front of me but IIRC it has a relatively large IC on the bottom of the PCB, so I guess it's not going to be easy to get around.

The most confusing part is that Mike G has successfully modded one, but no one has been able to do it since.

Thanks for the sticky thread. I recently installed my mod chip to my Saturn and this thread helpped quite a lot. It's probably slightly off-topic for me to have posted this, but I thought I'd pitch in.

Yay for me. Finally modded my Saturn today. Looked at the diagrams and looked at my Saturn and said why solder it if I don't have to. Simply looped the one end of the wire around the 14th pin and looped the other wire around the power connection. Thought, hey this can't work but everything was set nice and tight. Popped in my Albert's Odyssey backup, hit power and hey it works.
smile.gif
Just wondering if anyone else has done it this way?

This thread is amazing.

Thanks to everyone who contributed.

I just modded 2 32pin saturns with the A+B bridge from gocybershop.ca successfully.

My 2 friends thank you as well.

biggrin.gif

Just modded a 64-pin ic, 21 pin, round button saturn with the game gizmo modboard using the A+B technique. My power suply had 5 pins available but printed next to each pin was the voltage and the second from the top was the 5v2a pin, if someone mails me, or hits me on aim: "Scared0o0Rabbit" I'll put some pictures up on my site.

Next I think I'm going to try and add a region switch, then see about doing the mod to add the access LED to the round button saturn.

Not wanting to put you off trying, but I seem to recall someone tried fitting an LED and it didn't do anything.
sad.gif

Well, do to my huge ineptness when it comes to soldering, I managed to pull up both solder pads that I needed to solder the resistor to for the LED mod, I'll attempt it again on another saturn again, if anyone else wants a shot though I got my instructions off gamesx.com *shrug*.

So it wanted a resistor as well...

I know what I'll be doing if I ever get my hands on another 64 pin Saturn.
biggrin.gif

actually, it sounds like you may be able to do it to a 32 pin saturn as well *shrug* dunno if you looked at instructions themselves, but it sounds like it doesn't matter where resistor 48 is because it's always the same, apparently in the model 1 saturn with the actual access light it is even the same.

It's been a while since I've even thought about doing this mod, but I thought only Saturns with the separate controller board had the space for the missing LED.
huh.gif

Of all the Saturns I've had, only a 64 pin one was like that.

Back