Ikaruga

Originally posted by venom@June 26 2002,13:32

It's all over the net, Ikaruga has been confirmed for a September 5th release is Japan!!! Time to celebrate
biggrin.gif

I'll be even happier when it's in my hands.

mmmm mmmm mmmm shooter goodness!

Originally posted by venom@June 26 2002,16:32

It's all over the net, Ikaruga has been confirmed for a September 5th release is Japan!!! Time to celebrate
biggrin.gif

I'll be even happier when it's in my hands.

Let's celebrate after the game has been released.
wink.gif

Anticipated new releases have had it worse in the past; let's all hope that this will not be a trend in the dying 2.5D gaming industry. I agree to celebrate after this game is in all of our DCs!

Well, im not able to post news on SX, so I thought I might show you some new news for it here. Treassure has just updated its site with new news on Ikaruga's progress for DC. The game will be identicle to the arcade version, except for an added practice mode, illustration gallery, and a sound test mode exclusive to the DC port. The game will also have black borders on the sides of the screen due to the arcade version using a special type of screen. Full story here

Originally posted by Fabrizo@June 29 2002,16:34

Well, im not able to post news on SX, so I thought I might show you some new news for it here. Treassure has just updated its site with new news on Ikaruga's progress for DC. The game will be identicle to the arcade version, except for an added practice mode, illustration gallery, and a sound test mode exclusive to the DC port. The game will also have black borders on the sides of the screen due to the arcade version using a special type of screen. Full story here

Couldn't they do something like what Taito did with Galactic Attack (a.k.a. Layer Section), have both vertical and horizontal view? Some of my friends back in college laughed their asses off the first time they saw the horizontal view in Galactic Attack.
biggrin.gif

UGH...black bars....those things ruin it. I remember Layer Section having it, it just totally makes the game look cheesy. What type of special screen does it have that prevents the game from going full screen?

I'm sure you'll be able to flip it. The only thing that annoys me about stuff like Layer Section is the fact it scrolls from left to right as you move, so putting the whole playing area on screen when your monitor's the right way around wouldn't have took too much effort. Layer Section's worst problem is the fact that you can't see your ship when you're at the bottom of the screen (and that's where you are most of the time).

Originally posted by crystalmethod@June 29 2002,16:43

UGH...black bars....those things ruin it. I remember Layer Section having it, it just totally makes the game look cheesy. What type of special screen does it have that prevents the game from going full screen?

It probably runs at a weird resolution that doesn't scale properly.

Crystalmethod: "What type of special screen does it have that prevents the game from going full screen?"

Me: Well, from the videos I have seen of people playing the arcade version, the screen seams to be very tall, as well as quite thin.

I'm sorry, this is terribly OT.

Does anybody else who uses Opera know how to enable JIS encoded pages to show as weird text, to be converted separately with programs like NJ-Star Communicator into proper Hira/Kata/Kanji?

On my setup, I only see square-shaped chars instead, which don't convert at all with Communicator.

Mind you, I had it working once, but I can't quite remember what option/s got it in its actual state. A "reset to defaults" option would help... ???

Anyone understands what I'm talking about?
tongue.gif

Originally posted by KiT@June 30 2002,10:23

I'm sorry, this is terribly OT.

Does anybody else who uses Opera know how to enable JIS encoded pages to show as weird text, to be converted separately with programs like NJ-Star Communicator into proper Hira/Kata/Kanji?

On my setup, I only see square-shaped chars instead, which don't convert at all with Communicator.

Mind you, I had it working once, but I can't quite remember what option/s got it in its actual state. A "reset to defaults" option would help... ???

Anyone understands what I'm talking about?
tongue.gif

Why not just use IE? When you get to that page, it'll ask you if you want to download and install the appropriate language pack. After installing, you should be able to view those characters correctly without having to depend on an external application to do it for you.

The resolution of the video is 240x352, so it's probably just a vertical screen - typical "standard res" is around 320x240. Most vertical arcade shooters (and even some platformers; Contra comes to mind) use this kind of setup, and some home ports will let you rotate the screen to get the correct aspect ratio (though on every TV I've tried this causes some discoloration, probably due to the orientation of the magnetic fields shifting). Running the Ikaruga DC page through Babelfish yielded "As for DC edition perfection transplantation of arcade edition, side picture 2 type and vertical picture 2 type" and " * Note: When the television for usual home is designated as vertical ranging, it becomes cause of breakdown and accident.

When you play in the vertical picture, we ask the use of the private monitor by all means", so I'm guessing that it will have a screen rotation feature for the purists.
biggrin.gif

I tend to lay on my side when playing shooters where you can rotate. Gives you a hell of a headrush when you're finished I tell you.

Is there any news on VGA compatibility? I've been away a few days so I've been missing the updates. I'm guessing it is because of mention of 'monitor' from that translation.

Edit: Nevermind, I found my answer

Originally posted by Fabrizo@July 03 2002,00:10

Take a look at this. Very nice little trainer. Now I can work on my "1337 skillz" before the game comes out
biggrin.gif

Are you supposed to be able to finish any of those training scenarios without dying?
sad.gif

Back