Internet explorer

Originally posted by Quadriflax@May 08 2002,23:52

Nothing that wasn't before. Norton AV, Logitech MouseWare and the usual Windows things when I hit ctrl-alt-del. But I am noticing something called "connector" after I load IE. I've never seen that before, but maybe I never paid attention. I just tried to repair IE and that didn't work, I uninstalled IE6 and went back to 5.5 but it's still messing up. I seems to load pages from my HD just fine (my bookmarks file from NS). Otherwise it hangs when I try to go anywhere. It's really, really starting to irritate me. Any settings I should be checking? Any files that might be corrupt? The repair thing just reset my computer, it didn't report anything to me afterward either good or bad. I dunno if it even did anything.

edit: might it be a Winsock2 issue even though everything but IE can access the internet? such as described here: http://www.bu.edu/pcsc/internetaccess/winsock2fix.html

shootin' in the dark...

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...b;EN-US;q230243

says edit regestry, if Winsock programs seem not to work.

Internet Explorer cannot open the Internet site < site name > . An internal error occurred in the Windows Internet Extensions.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...b;EN-US;q188952

last one

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...b;EN-US;q175722

lists several possibilities on why "page cannot be displayed" appears

You can reinstall it, and it should show up in add/remove again. However, it may or may not overwrite older files.

You're right. Too risky. Dunno what the hell it'd do, and IE isn't worth the pain that could cause.

It should say something like 'this stupid piece of *&%$ can't be stored in the recycle bin, please keep it because it needs your love, it's so lonely' or something more general - in any event, hit yes. That always worked for me...

I feel retarded. I can just right click the damn thing and delete it. Cripes, I can't believe I overlooked that *slap*, duh.

Trust 98lite, really. The program is rock solid. I haven't met anybody who has had problems with the program. The demo version is all you need. If you really have concerns, you may want to find yourself a copy of Norton Ghost. No one should be without it.

Ghost does look handy. I should look into it. But as for 98lite I think you address my concerns nicely:

What works on one computer may or may not work on another

Maybe I'll try after I look into Ghost. I don't really need the HD space right now. So I guess after all that I've decided to just delete the icon and forget it's there. Thanks for all the help though. I wouldn't have tried Opera otherwise. I knew about it but never had a need to try it. A nice piece of software I must say. I'm actually using it right now since NS doesn't seem to want to quote correctly at the moment. Thanks to everyone else too. I'm actually somewhat happier now that I don't have to rely on MS software as a backup
smile.gif

Before I go though I'd like to rip on ME one last time. The reason I have a grudge against it is cuz it screwed me during a presentation. I had a group presentation for a professional communications course and we were going to use Power Point on one of my group member's laptops. He had a bad 98 install on it at the time, but we could get everything working fine. Well, over the weekend before the presentation he decides to install ME (something I asked him NOT to do until after the presentation). We didn't get to run the thing on the projector again until it was time to go. Sure enough, it didn't work. Ten minutes after trying to get it to work he realized he could boot into Linux and run it from Star Office. Gruh. So for ten minutes I was crapping my pants because ME wanted to be retarded. I lost all faith in it that day. In case anyone cared
smile.gif

[quote name='Quadriflax' date='May 09 2002,09:03']

I hate ME. It is absolute garbage. If the only thing you do is surf the web, fine. But if you intend to do... ah, work, it's utterly useless. It's Win98SE2, essentially.

Have you ever used winME?

Apparently not. I've been using it since last year and guess what --- NO PROBLEMS with it.

I use it for gaming, surfing, chatting, programming, and everything ELSE that anyone who *DOESN'T* use winMe does with their computers.

Don't tell me its not stable, either. I have uptimes that would make you drool. As a matter of fact, I had it up for nearly a month -- till it stormed really bad and the power went out.

If it's just Win98SE2, then all of you who sing the praises of win98 shouldn't have an issue with it.

Be consistent, fuq.

Whoo, that's being a bit testy. If you love ME, fine. From previous experience (too long exposure, IMO), it's garbage.

So sorry.

It's the first time I hear somebody praise WinME, too, but I *am* inclined to believe him... I for one have very good stability and uptimes (2 days, one time) with Win98SE as well... however, I am 1. extremely anal about what happens behind the stages and do keep my system clean, often spending hours on tweaking things ... 2. I did register 98lite.net's excellent software and trimmed my whole Win98SE system down to maybe 100, 150MB of disk space...threw IE and a lot of other things (DAO, ODBC or what it's called, MS Agent, tons more) out...

in fact, I still run the very same setup that my Compaq PC came preinstalled with in September of 1999, I *never* have had to reinstall Windows...

The one crime that Microsoft is really guilty of is making it seem that Windows is easy to use or maintain... If you're obsessive-compulsive as well as detail-oriented like me, and have patience not to click/type faster than a given program can handle your input, THEN Windows is rather beautiful, actually. :) Alas, only then...!

Back