Is this a problem?? - Something funny with my GBA's screen

Ok, I just got a Glacier GBA. It works great! However...whenever the thing is moved, shaken, wiggled, whatever, I get little lines across the screen. Specifically, like every other row is halftone. Causes extremely annoying flickering...is this normal? I doubt it, as when you're not moving it around, it doesn't USUALLY do it, but occasionally it keeps doing it and won't stop for a couple minutes shaking it or not.

I don't think this is normal, but since this is the second that did it (first one, also glacier, I returned becuase it started really doing it) If it's normal, ...oh well. I'll enjoy the thing anyway. :) but if it's not, I really need to know!

That reminds me. It's running on the batteries packed along with it, in case this makes a difference.
Also, the halftone thing happens with any game - I have 2 GBA games and 3 GB games - and it does it on all of them.

Thanks!

Well.... That's NOT normal. Probably something loose inside.

There are always people who trade in defective stuff for new defective stuff ;)

Yeah, from what I've heard that sounds like a misadjustment of the power control to the screen. I never tried it myself because I have good lighting and a well-adjusted GBA, but shortly after it came out and people were complaining about it being too dark, someone found the potentiometer that controls power to the screen, and some who overadjusted it described a visible interlacing problem like you're describing.

If you have trouble getting a good unit, you might want to call Nintendo customer service and ask about having it fixed. Nintendo has authorized repair shops all over the place, so there's a chance you might be near one (there's a search engine here (This page might only cover the US; not sure if it's autodetecting or not. They have other sites for other countries as well.). Chances are they can just adjust the potentiometer there, hopefully leaving you with an intact warranty and a nicely working GBA. :)

Yep, I returned it yesterday, for a Fuschia model. The new one still has it, with one important difference. it ONLY does it when shook, and not much of that - no effect hanging over when not shaken or anything. In other words, something that acts more like a screen design thing than a loose connection.
I've decided I'll probably see if Nintendo Support can help...
The idea did cross my mind, however, that because everyone complained about them being dark, a bunch are being shipped turned almost up to the limit. could this cause that effect?
*shrug* ;)

Back