Just broke my saturn

Just wanted to install the modchip. Good at coding, bad at soldering, #### shit, no i need to get a new saturn, just blew the whole thing. I think i used too much soldering iron... well, whatever, at least the modchip itself seems to be okay...

Let me guess, you put a big ol' blob of solder on the timer chip right (when you went to solder the wire to that little chip) :( I must be like you, I'm a software guy, not a hardware guy.

no, it was a big blob of solder on the power supply (that 5v slot). i think some of it connected the 5v supply with the 9v supply so it blew up the whole thing. So, wish me luck for my bid on ebay, maybe i got a new one in a few days... and this time i will fix the one wire with tape only and then try my best on the timer chip - which went rather good however.

There's actually no need to solder to the power supply.

I just tinned the wire and wedged the end into the same space as the rod from the main board.

I did this by removing the retaining screws from the power supply and gently lifting it from the saturn.

I then replaced it with the tinned end in the 5v hole, where it makes a nice solid connection.

Quote: from mal on 4:49 am on Nov. 5, 2001

There's actually no need to solder to the power supply.

I just tinned the wire and wedged the end into the same space as the rod from the main board.

I did this by removing the retaining screws from the power supply and gently lifting it from the saturn.

I then replaced it with the tinned end in the 5v hole, where it makes a nice solid connection.

huh? tinned? what does tinned mean? please re-explain how you did it. in English this time.

tinning means covering the wire in solder, so it a) holds the strands together, b) makes it somewhat solid and easier to position and c) won't require additional solder on small spots.. important for those tiny chip pins.

Thank you Arakon.

I couldn't have put it better myself.

Do you need more info Cloud121?

it'd be a bitch to solder anything without tinning the wires first. and it's not like that's difficult.. twist the strands together and drag them through the liquid solder until they are covered with solder.

okay, got the new fuse, system is up and running again :) Thanks a lot Arakon, sometimes things are so simple.

No i did another attempt at installing the modchip. I think i did everything right. The modchip is getting its power from the saturn's power supply, the blue cable is connected to pin three. Now i can boot up the saturn and get into the audio menu. When i insert an original cd it gets recognized and i can boot it. But when i try a backup it just spins for several times and then i can play the second track ("This CD is not...."). It just doesn't get recognized. And if I start the Saturn with the tray opened nothing happens at all. I just see the Sega logo (not the start animation for some reason) and then get a black screen. The CD drive doesn't even start spinning. But since original CDs boot up i'm pretty sure i did everything right when i installed the chip. So, any ideas? Thanks!

the animation at the start doesnt play the same with the lid open anyway, also the modchip i have doesnt work if you power on with the lid open

did you patch the iso before burning it if necessary?

try a direct copy of a working disc just to see if its your burning or you mod thats a fault

Tried everything, pretty sure i did it all right. Maybe the modchip is broken. However, i removed the chip and tried the swap trick - and it worked :)

Back