Main HDD is dying :(

vbt

Staff member
My 82 GB IBM is al most dead I cannot bot on W2000. The only thing I managed to duplicate is mails :( I will surely loose all collected games :( and other things.

When you boot windows with another drive and set that HD to slave can you read the content? I managed to save some data this way when my old 3GB HD was tripping but this was a very long time ago.

That's what I did, that's how I wrote here ( I know NX pass but not SX) I didn't manage to save everything from W98(took hours and sme reboot,shutdown) and then went to buy a new HDD of 300Go.
I restarted to to try to save data without success. I tried Windows 2000 scandisk/chkdsk,windows98 scandisk and also OnTrack FixIt utilities before and it fixed nothing...
My last try was DOS scan disk It found a sector dead on another partition and now my HDD works again as new, I don't understand why another partition gave so many problems, HDD was alsao doing "tac tac tac ..."

Pyrite said:
Yeah when they start to make those sounds its a sign they are ready to hit the trash bin.

Yesterday I wasn't able to copy program files and winnt so I won't do update while I have not moved everything to the new HDD(not yet plugged).

Back