Mame Cabinet

While searching on the net I found this. Sega Astro City Gallery I have the same cabinet and I also wanted to run MAME on my machine as well. I wanted to know what would be the best way to get this going. I was looking at getting something like this J-PAC but I'm not sure how good of a product it is. If someone can point me in a direction to making a MAME machine I would really appreicate it.

Thanks

The J-pac is pretty much the best product of its kind - buy with confidence. As for the rest, I would recommend setting up a Linux system running AdvanceMAME and AdvanceMenu. AdvMAME has the best overall support for the video modes used by arcade monitors, so you can get a picture perfect image. It also has some cool scaling modes to screw around with. It requires a bit of configuration, but the end result is well worth it.

Hey it290,

Thanks for the info. Just want to make sure this is the program right. AdvanceMAME Also what is the best Linux Distro to use with this system. I'll try and get the J -Pac this weekend and start experimenting hopefully soon.

Distro doesn't really matter. I recommend Gentoo for just about everything, but you can use whatever you want. All you really need is a minimal install - the system is just going to boot up and load AdvanceMenu, so you don't need X or anything else, unless you want to have it on there for some reason.

edit - yeah, that's the program. Best MAME variant out there IMHO.

Back