Model 1 emulation

Modeler is for all intents and purposes dead. This is in MAME. Modeler also never displayed any 3D graphics, only 2D.

Mal: Ok, I just have the emulator, never tried it out and don't got the ROMS to do so. But in the textfile that came with the emulator it says this:

>Supported watchable games are:

>

>Rad Rally (1991, System 32 hardware)

>F1 Exhaust Note (1992, System 32 hardware)

>F1 Super Lap (1992, System 32 hardware)

>Virtua Racing (1993, Model 1 hardware)

>Virtua Fighter (1993, Model 1 hardware)

>Star Wars Arcade (1994, Model 1 hardware)

>

>"Watchable" games run but have one or more graphical, audio, or control

>flaws that prevent them from being playable in our opinion. Your

>opinion may vary, so feel free to give them a try.

It sounds like there were some graphics, if it was only 2D that would have been a blank screen with energybars or laptimes showing. But as I said I've never tried it out.

What about Rad Mobile (and yes I do mean Rad MOBILE), does that use spritescaling? Again, never played.

This is all well and cool, but it gets better...

When I first started fiddling with the Nebula Model 2 emulator, I was quite irritated to find that my favourite games such as Daytona USA, Sega Rally and Virtua Fighter 2 were not emulated. This seemed odd to me, because later games such as Sega Touring Car Championship and Dead Or Alive were emulated fine...

After doing a bit of research, I found that the early Model 2 games used Fujitsu TGP Chipsets for some part of the polygion rendering (I'm no programmer or coder, I won't pretend to know what the thing does). These chipsets were largely undocumented, and thus unemulated. This meant that the games were emulated fine, but no polygons appeared on-screen.

Now these very same chipsets were used on Model 1 games also, which is why Model 1 games show no polygons using Modeler.

Now, with these screenshots showing polygons, it is reasonable to assume that this custom chipset has finally been emulated. which means that the early Model 2 games should be able to be emulated also...

......Anyone up for some network Daytona on Mame32k? =)

Well here's hoping the research put into emulating Model 1 is used to help progress Model 2A emulation also.

Model 2 and 2A hardware may eventually be emulated, but I wouldn't hold your breath.

Some words from a few emulator authors at the Retrogames General Emulation forum:

Originally posted by Bart.T +--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bart.T )</div><div class='quotemain'>AFAIK, HLE is just as viable a solution for Model 2. That's not to say it would be an easy task![/b]

Originally posted by Olivier Galibert+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Olivier Galibert)</div><div class='quotemain'>Especially since the model1 one is 3-4 years of work.[/b]

<!--QuoteBegin-ElSemi
@

And I'm a lazy bastard :).[/quote]

and

<!--QuoteBegin-R.Belmont @ Emuhype forums

This [Model 1 polygons in MAME] is pure HLE, so from a "understanding the DSPs" standpoint it gets us no closer on Daytona. OTOH, for simulation purposes it gives us another endpoint on the line. We know the command codes sent to the DSP program for Models 1, 2B, and 2C now, and they're known to be fairly similar all the way across.[/quote]

Link

Multiplayer Daytona using kailera? I seriously doubt it, but that's another story.

Originally posted by racketboy@Apr 6, 2004 @ 01:29 AM

Haven't played it, but how's the Saturn version?

For me the Saturn version is worse than the 32X release.

Back