Need help with the region mod

Hi all, I was hoping someone out there can help me out.

Im trying to region mod my Saturn, but i cant find clear advice on which JPs to use for this specific board. Its one of those with JPs on top and bottom

and has VA but no number after it. The url below will show my actual board, ive put a red box around the JP area cos i can never find em :huh

http://www.thedaddy.copperstream.co.uk/pict3571.jpg

If someone could take a look for me and let me know what to do id be very greatful. Also, do i still have to build a curcit to do the switching or do i just solder to the switch from the JP ? The reason i ask is that there are no resistors between the JPs.

I really hope you can help.

Thanks

Originally posted by The DADDY@Tue, 2005-11-29 @ 07:27 AM

Hi all, I was hoping someone out there can help me out.

Im trying to region mod my Saturn, but i cant find clear advice on which JPs to use for this specific board. Its one of those with JPs on top and bottom

and has  VA but no number after it. The url below will show my actual board, ive put a red box around the JP area cos i can never find em :huh

If someone could take a look for me and let me know what to do id be very greatful. Also, do i still have to build a curcit to do the switching or do i just solder to the switch from the JP ? The reason i ask is that there are no resistors between the JPs.

I really hope you can help.

Thanks

[post=142037]Quoted post[/post]​

You don`t need a special circuit or resistor to switch the jumpers, but if you want one switch to change the region (instead of three switches, one for every jumper) you need a small circuit with a hex inverter.

You can solder a switch to every jumper and that`s it. I can`t open the picture from your board,

but on the system peripherie manager chip (315-5744) these are the pins:

pin 5 (jp 6/7)

pin 7 (jp 10/11)

pin 8 (jp 12/13)

Don`t cut pin 6 !!!

Every pin is connected with one of the jumpers. And you can solder a switch directly to the pins of the chip. Cut them and lift them with a needle. solder a double throw switch to every pin to change between ground and 5V. (5V=jumper connected, ground= jumper not connected)

The combination of the jumpers is the region code.

PAL -> jp6/7=0, jp 10/11=1, jp 12/13=1

US -> jp6/7=0, jp 10/11=1, jp 12/13=0

PAL -> jp6/7=1, jp 10/11=0, jp 12/13=0

But there are a few threads here about that...

Originally posted by wolfchild@Wed, 2005-12-07 @ 02:33 AM

You don`t need a special circuit or resistor to switch the jumpers, but if you want one switch to change the region (instead of three switches, one for every jumper) you need a small circuit with a hex inverter.

You can solder a switch to every jumper and that`s it. I can`t open the picture from your board,

but on the system peripherie manager chip (315-5744) these are the pins:

pin 5 (jp 6/7)

pin 7 (jp 10/11)

pin 8 (jp 12/13)

Don`t cut pin 6 !!!

Every pin is connected with one of the jumpers. And you can solder a switch directly to the pins of the chip. Cut them and lift them with a needle. solder a double throw switch to every pin to change between ground and 5V. (5V=jumper connected, ground= jumper not connected)

The combination of the jumpers is the region code.

PAL -> jp6/7=0, jp 10/11=1, jp 12/13=1

US -> jp6/7=0, jp 10/11=1, jp 12/13=0

PAL -> jp6/7=1, jp 10/11=0, jp 12/13=0

But there are a few threads here about that...

[post=142272]Quoted post[/post]​

Thanks for the reply there Wolfchild and sorry for not putting it in the right part of the forum (there should be a law against us noobs :D )

Anyway. Just to clarify before i butcher another mobo :blush:

Is this the circit you mean

Ive also uploaded the other picture again http://www.thedaddy.copperstream.co.uk/pict3571.jpg

Ive modded a couple of VA 9s using this circit but i was wondering if i need to make the it without the 1k resistors or do anything different for this board as im going down the 1 switch for all route. The reason i ask is on the VA9 i have to un-solder a few resistors before soldering the switch to them. On this board there arnt any resistors to un-solder but there are very thin wires connecting some of the JP pads together. Do i cut these wires instead?

I hope you can help.

Thanks... :)

Originally posted by lordofduct@Thu, 2005-12-08 @ 10:09 PM

mmmonkey.co.uk has a step by step walk through.

Go there, it tells you how to do it with 1 3 way switch

Direct link to where in that webpage you want

The picture of where the JP switches are may be a little different depending your model#, but you do the same thing to them.

[post=142343]Quoted post[/post]​

Cheers for the link, im working at the mo but im gonna give it a try this weekend. Thanks for the help and advice.

Cheers

Back