new dc's cant boot utopia?

i thought MIL-CD compatibility, 1st session audio, and CD-R compatibility were 3 different issues..

I remember in the early days, first month or so after utopias boot-cd, there were dreamcast which couldnt read it.. The lasers couldnt physically read CD-rs.. tehy couldnt play audio cds on cd-r media either.. The story then was that GD-ROMS were made by many different manufacturers (including sony!), and the Yamaha ones were the best at reading the CD-Rs, others had weaker lasers.. end of story

Then production slowed, and yamaha was making all the GD-ROMS.. (no need for different suppliers anymore)

THEN the that would see backups as audio cds.. They'd see the 1st session audio, then quit to the audio menu.. This was when bin2boot and its ilk hit the street.. Long before sega's 'no more MIL-CD support' talk..

But this is when the rumours about the free game gravy train coming to a halt started.. It was speculated that new DC's couldnt read CD-Rs.. Then the sports pack came out, and it could read them..

...time passes..

Then Sega announces no more MIL-CD support, which I think is handled in the GD-ROM microcode (throws out normal 2532 sectors completely, only reads the high density poop.. just conjecture on my part).. The sakura dreamcasts were confirmed to not read MIL-CD at all, though could still play audio off a CD-R (so its not a laser thing)...

Then they announced the same for US consoles.. Then a half hour later (ok maybe a month), they packed up their ball and went home..

Now, how many dreamcasts were actually produced (in america) at the 11th hour? I have yet to see solid reports from anyone with an american unit that cannot read MIL-CD at all..

It seems to me they never bothered closing the barn door, they just burned the whole thing down..

Who knows.. Chances are the used dc you buy will play em.. Before you buy it check the date on the sticker on the bottom for the magic Dec 2000 (or oct or nov or sept depending on your source).. Noone knows if or when sega actually implemented any design changes (just when they announced em)..

Man i love to rant

Quote: from lancastoor on 12:54 pm on Jan. 2, 2002

i thought MIL-CD compatibility, 1st session audio, and CD-R compatibility were 3 different issues..

I remember in the early days, first month or so after utopias boot-cd, there were dreamcast which couldnt read it.. The lasers couldnt physically read CD-rs.. tehy couldnt play audio cds on cd-r media either.. The story then was that GD-ROMS were made by many different manufacturers (including sony!), and the Yamaha ones were the best at reading the CD-Rs, others had weaker lasers.. end of story

actually, that was people too dumb to burn a cd, bad media, or simply lies spread to prevent piracy (right up there with the "cdrs burn out your laser and make it burn holes into your DC case" bullshit).

any and all DCs can read cdrs (if nothing else, at least audio), from the very first to the very last ones.there are actually only 2 drive manufacturers, Samsung and Yamaha. it's printed onto the drive unit.

Back