New Dragon Force PS2 Images

The fake method of anti-aliasing that we see in The Summoner and the American/PAL version of Tekken Tag Tournament is nowhere near as clean as the method the Dreamcast uses (read my previous post), which is why PS2 developers generally avoid resorting to using it at all.

Jagged textures were only really noticeable in first generation PS2 titles anyway, and although the problem of aliasing still rears its ugly head in *every* PS2 game, rendering finer 3D characters more or less solves the problem. This just requires a lot more time and effort.

fake method of anti-aliasing

How can you have "fake" antialiasing? Maybe I'm off my rocker here, but my inclination is to say that if the method is something other than a resolution bump and has the primary effect of reducing aliasing, it's antialiasing. If it doesn't, it's not and shouldn't be called antialiasing at all, "fake" or otherwise.

"Some developers like THQ (Summoner) have used a form of CRT (Cathode Ray Tube) blending to fake the effects that true anti- aliasing would offer. This is something which the DC has had for over two years, but unlike the DC CRT method, the PS2 method results in washed out, blurry textures. Tekken Tag Tournament is the perfect US launch title example. While they have eliminated the jagged edges which plague the Japanese version, the end result is that all of the textures in the game seem blurry or washed out. Hardly what I would call revolutionary for a next-generation console.

While all Dreamcast games run at 640x480 resolution, many PS2 games only utilitize a 640x240 field- rendered display which fakes a 640x480 display. Bad jaggies are the result, and these need to be hidden through some form of anti-aliasing (AA, not yet available), or by using the CRT method described above, with all its unintended consequences".

If you want to call that "anti-aliasing", be my guest.

Just a quick question: are jaggies really that big a deal for you guys? I never had a problem with them , thus never found a need to use AA. My big thing is texture quality, so I personally need AF. For a long time I was comfortable playing games at 640x480. I only bumped up my requirements because IMO textures nowadays need to be viewed at least 1024x768. It just seems stupid to me to waste assets for AA on cosoles. Like it was mentioned before, I think if you just strive to increase poly count, using AA won't be so necessary. I just keep thinking that if AA wasn't used on titles like Halo 2, we'd be seeing better framerates. Just my opinion, though.

BTW, MGS2 was incredibly nice at its smooth 60 fps. The low-rez blurry textures were not a problem for me, since I thought the textures were used appropriately and in an aesthetic manner. MGS3, however wasn't so nice with the framerate hits. I enjoyed that game a bit more simply because the story wasn't nearly as pedantic and MGS2 (while I can see the ethos of the morality in MGS2, I just find it to be such an overused topic of videogames, that and racism), MGS3 wasn't a better experience overall. Give a good game that moves smoothly, and you've won me over.

Back