NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams

Amon

Staff member
NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams is a video game for the Wii console. It is a sequel to the 1996 Sega Saturn title Nights into Dreams.... Sonic Team USA developed the game, with Takashi Iizuka, one of the designers of the original, as producer, director, and lead game designer. Like the original, the game is set in the dream world of Nightopia, which is under threat from nightmare beings called Nightmaren, and the gameplay is based around the flight of a jester named NiGHTS.

I was going to buy it when it first came out but because of all the crap reviews it was getting magizines and friends alike, i decided to put off buying it until i can get the chance to rent it. I still play nights into dreams alot (just yesterday) and for this game to suck would probally destroy any happy thoughts about sega i have ever had lol for those out there that have played it what did you think? good? bad? ok??

I love the game. Mind you I have just played the very first level. I still not sure how the scoring system works but its similar to the first game. I managed to get an A rank on the first level by getting a 1.6X multiplier from the boss. Not as high scores as the Saturn game but I am getting there. I am very impressed with it.

I havent got a chance to test it out but the game does have online play. Also you do not have to unlock 2 player mode like the first game. You can buy the game, not even play any of the story and complete with friends or strangers on your wii or over the internet.

The only online thing I was able to test was visiting someone elses dream. It was very cool seeing the world he/she created. The chat system needs work as you can only chat in symbols. I would of liked the word select method like they did in PSO as the symbols could be interpretted as anything. Since the Wii has flash memory and internet possibly a patch could solve this.

There is one thing that annoys me. I am not sure if it is because I havent gone farther into the game but a lot of the ingame cutscenes keep repeating but luckily you can skip them. Also most of the reviews I read gave the game 8/10 or higher with very few lower. I am a huge fan of the first game and of this one. There also could of been more detail in the manual not that I have read it from cover to cover. It doesnt answer all the questions I had about the game and I had to look elsewhere. Like how to capture nightopians... paraloop around them or near them. That is not explained in the manual it just states "capture them".

All in all It was well worth the money spent.

I think the reviews on it are disingenuous, because the things that they've crapped on I haven't had issue with. Like Amon, I'm just starting with it, but I'm thoroughly liking it.

Reviewers are probably used to the commercial crap that always gets released on new systems now. I havn't played any of the games but I am told they are unique and in a class of their own. So certain reviewers may not be familiar with the original and here it is coming from.

I did some research and here is some of the reviewers score for the new Nights:

1up.com gave it a 7

Ign gave it a 6.5

Gamedaily.com gave it an 8

Nintendogo.com gave it a 7.3

Cnet.com gave it a 7.5

Gametap.com gave it a 7

Playmagizine.com gave it a 6.5

Nintendo power gave it a 9

Gamespot.com gave it a 7.5

EGM.com gave it 7.17

mostly 7's with a few 6's and a 9 from nintendo power (bias?)

anywho overall decent but not great scores by any mean. Your opionons on the game though have me really wanting to rent it to really find out.

Back