Nothing but a Blue Screen on NES

Cloud121

Established Member
Hey guys, this is really weird. My NES only displays a blue screen now (perhaps M$ infected it in some way? ;) :lol: okay.. lame joke...). Is it my cart port? I just installed the 72-Pin Adaptor last October! Maybe it's loose or something. I'm gonna open up my NES and check things out. Hm..

Any ideas if it's NOT the 72-pin?

Edit: My friend says that the problem may lie in the springs that hold the cart and everything down. He says I need to reset it. How do I do this?

Erm... what color does your TV display for "no signal"? If a game isn't booting, you should be getting the Blinking Screen of Death, not the Blue Screen of Death.

It only displays a Blue Screen. As in, pressing power with no cart in the slot. It acts as though there is no cart in there, when there IS one.

Does your TV show a blue screen when the NES is powered off? Does the power light on the NES blink or light up at all? What the hell is a 72pin thing?

No, the TV doesn't display a blue screen with the NES turned off.

The NES light stays on.

The 72-Pin Adaptor is a cart port for your NES, so that it'll stop displaying the falshing screens and such. Basically, it makes your NES new again.

Assuming you tried different carts to make sure it's not the cart that's busted I'd say your NES is fubared. It would probably be easier to just buy a new one than try to fix whatever is wrong with this one.

It only displays a Blue Screen. As in, pressing power with no cart in the slot. It acts as though there is no cart in there

Are you sure your TV never displays blue for an unusable / no signal? NES defaults to black/grey, not blue. Furthermore, the video processor in the NES isn't even based on RGB, so it doesn't seem very likely for it to fail in a way that causes a blue screen. If it (and not just your TV) really is displaying blue with no game inserted, then your PPU is most definitely fried.

I figured it out last night. Turns out the cart holder was loose (you place the cart in, and press down to put it in place). Most likely due to having to really wiggle and tug the cart out, due to the pins in the 72-Pin Adaptor being so tight. I screwed it in tighter. Works great now! Although the tightness of the pins is getting on my nerves....

Originally posted by Cloud121@Mar 24, 2004 @ 07:46 PM

72-Pin Adaptor being so tight.

For future reference, if you're talking about replacing the 72-pin cartridge connector in an NES, I wouldn't call it a 72-pin adapter. It's just the cart connector. I think you were confusing people early on with the "adapter" part.

Back