Official bootdisk useful?

Originally posted by A Murder of Crows@Sep 1, 2003 @ 04:52 AM

alright, is it okay to ask for someone to point me to an ftp with related files on there? i don't know of any, and it seems lately that i'm getting yelled at for things that AREN'T IN THE RULES STICKY and for discussing or continuing topics that OTHER PEOPLE DISCUSSED LONG BEFORE ME!!!

I don't know what sort of persecution complex you've got going, but I certainly haven't been yelling at you... yet.

I'll try to get the disc scanned tonight (+7 hours from now). I've been rather busy at work.

As for a disc image, try the FTPs listed in the FTP forum. Just don't go asking for it there either or someone might start yelling.

I'm having a bit of trouble with my scanner, but here's a pic of a System disc that's out there on the 'net:

Console Dev

Attachments

• sat_psyq_syscd.jpg
    sat_psyq_syscd.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 115
  • sat_psyq_syscd.jpg
    sat_psyq_syscd.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 113
I didn't knew that two Saturn system discs exists (black & red), I had only seen pics of the black one.

I have the boot disc for the DC and yes as noob explained on his reply 2 years ago is labeled System Disc 2 so the System Disc 1 must be the Saturn disc I suppose.

i wasn't begging for the iso, i was begging for *information* to *point* me to an FTP. since i haven't had the time to explore SX all that much yet (just the saturn forum), i didn't know there *WAS* and FTP forum.

mal, you edited and killed a post of mine because it was about GiriGiri, and yet nowhere that i've seen is it listed that Giri discussion/instruction was against the rules. in this thread, i asked regarding the offcial boot disc because i wanted to see it, in all forms of the word "see." This thread is ancient and the original thread makers openly offered the ISO to each other in it, and yet i'm being told (not yelled at..yet) that i can't ask or mention the same things that were already discussed.

if you aren't going to let me ask for information, and you wont let me discuss or ask for things that have already been discussed and asked in the same thread, then perhaps you should list these in your rules too? and certainly kill off old threads completely....i'm someone who likes to read thru old posts as far as i can go to get as much info as i can.

by the way, do you have an image/screenshot of the disc in action? i'd like to see it's boot proceedure and what it says on the screen when it's ready, and also like to see what it says while it loads a game.

thank you

A Murder of Crows

well an ISO of the disc can be found on Direct Connect pretty easily... it's 70.38kb if I remember correctly! PM me for more info.

Well, it's been posted before, atleast once that discussion of girigiri was not acceptable. In particular there was one around the time that the hack or whatever it was came out. You could probably find it by doing a bit of searching. On a lighter note, while trying to find the thread to reference it, I discovered that contrary to what one would believe... refining your search actually returns more results -_-; a search for "giri" returned 3 pages while a search for "giri hack" returned 8+. Go figure :huh

Rules regarding subjects that are "not acceptable" need to be placed in the Rules sticky, otherwise people just won't know. Furthermore, any and all threads containing "Unaccaptable" subject matter should be closed immediatly, if not completely removed....i got in "trouble" (term used loosely) twice now for replying to "dead' threads. this one, i was curious about the final result of the project. the other one, i felt i could help people solve problems since i got the "unacceptable topic" program working perfectly with cd-rom support in windows XP.

i've said my peace on this subject, and now i "know better"??? but i'd still like to see an update to the rules sticky, please, and perhaps some thread closures/removals. if it's unacceptable to reply to a subject, or to post about it, or offer info for it...then all topics regarding that subject matter should be removed.

while you are at it, remove any topic that leads to hacked games, such as translation project patches and stand-alone hidden games. Translations, hacks and patches violate the original copyright on any game they are applied to. It also violates copyright to change the original soundtrack of a game unless it's in accordance with the manufacturer of said game (so everyone making their own mixes of Street Fighter or Crazy Taxi on the Dreamcast are violating the copyright laws, though people plaing the same games in the XBox format who choose to change the soundtrack are not violating the copyright).

Ripping out the hidden games out of other games can be considered a form of piracy, since it allows people to not have to buy the original game just to play the hidden game.

these examples are ridiculous....i don't agree with them, and not many people will actually go out and prosecute the violators. i'm just trying to prove a point: this forum is about sharing information....i have only ask for information and offered it in return....it's not illegal to tell someone how to make a bomb....it's illegal to make a bomb and use it to hurt others. this is a private forum, so you all can make whatever rules you want to....as far as i saw, i violated none of these rules according to the rules sticky....i just think someone should evaluate your policies and figure out a definitive list of what's okay and what's not....i feel Giri discussion is fine, as long as you aren't telling people where to get it. i feel asking for someone to help point you in the right direction to find a place for an ISO, regardless of the reason, is not the same as saying "someone please give me this ISO!!!" i feel that asking for something that wasn't commercially availible ever (such as homebrews, betas, certain demos, and any utility discs) isn't the same as asking for a popular or rare commercially availible game (such as dragon force or panzer dragoon saga).

i'm not trying to pick fights....i just want to have a clear idea of what is kosher and what isn't before i post again....i worked hard on my Giri FAQ, i did it from scratch that day, and within 10 minutes of posting all my work was gone (though later PMed to me by request).

Quit your whining. :blah

If you don't like the way things are you don't have to stay.

Most people are satisfied when they are asked not to do something here. It just wouldn't be possible to have rules about everything. That's one reason we have moderators.

I suggest that you take some time during your suspension to decide whether you want it to be permanent or not.

Yes and no.

An original works just fine because it has the security ring on it.

A copy of it needs a modboard or to be swapped to work because it doesn't have the ring.

I found a copy of the saturn bootdisc floating around direct connect, but what would be its point if i need a modded saturn to run it (it being the burnt bootdisc)?

That would be a no.

Even the last two posts before bugbeak's would answer his question. :blink:

my apologies for not reading ahead of mine.

Anyways, did anyone notice that the pic posted had the Saturn logo that you'd see on the japanese Saturn?

So does that mean that sega's been distributing that particular boot disc to US and JP developers alike or was that just for the japanese and the americans got a different-looking boot disc?

Back