Project MBOX

(Typed via a VNC connection)

At the momment, M - BOX looks like it'll be using what ever Solder' can afford and bits dragged out of the computer I've lent him. The Mega/Genesis CD unit is going to contain a DVD-ROM in place of the CD with a as of yet undecided HDD type (probably laptop, probably mounted under the DVD) as the 6Gb is for my I - Opener.

PSU'll probably be stripped out of it's metal enclosure and mounted in the SegaCD box as well.

As for cooling the CPU (1Ghz Athlon/Duron minimum) I'm looking at getting a 1u sized rack-mount cooler for it, that should negate problems with cooler/board placement.

Obviously we're going to Dremel out most of the inards but I plan on leaving the as many screw holes as possible for holding the thing together, but Solder' is right the mega CD and Mega Drive will be epoxied together...

Anyway, having said all of that I'll leave SolderMonkey back to dream.

Opposing Force.

i'll leave the forum to decide whether my girlfriend's / system administrator's suggestion will fit - i'm not stupid enough to argue (good boy - OpForce)

Ever notice how AMD needs patches or "extra" tweaking for somethings?

Yes. I've also noticed that later Intel processors have needed the same (try googling for something like "Pentium microcode update" if you didn't notice this). It comes with the territory of trying to bum ridiculous performance out of an emulation of an architecture rooted in a 24-year-old CPU.

edit: Or, you could just get it straight from the horse's mouth. The fun starts on page 39 (marked page 29) of the PDF. Just to be fair, here is the same for the Athlon XP. I really don't like the sound of erratum number 19 in that one...

(Edited by ExCyber at 11:23 am on Mar. 24, 2002)

Back