question on installing new XBox hdd..

Pearl Jammzz

Established Member
K, so I wanna install this new HDD in my box as I only have the stock 10 (8 formatted). Well, it's not wantin to work, haha. I have it all hooked up inside the box properly and all the contents of the c and e drives from the origional hdd to my PC.

Now I am trying the evox method of copying all the shit over, and makin a evox boot disc of sort. For sum reason it never wants to load my burn. I know I am using the correct media as it lets me update my bios and play music files and such off the same cdrw's.

Anyone have any idea of what exactly I am doing wrong? I make the directory like I am suppost to, then run craxation (sp¿) and make an ISO. I have to go through dos to get it to work (as the gui gives me sum stupid error when trying to load it up...did it on my last PC as well *shrug*) but I am pretty sure it's doin its thing right. I also have tried simplexiso but to no avail.

Is there another way to go about this (put the hdd in my PC and do it that way....maybe manually partition it or sumthin)? Any ideas on what I am doing wrong? Anything that helps will be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks guys, hope you can help me out :).

i got an xbox and want to put a bigger harddrive on it to put mp3's and such , i dont really want to use a mod chip it is there any way to do this , any info would be appreciated even on chips .

xavier im pretty sure to use a new hdd you need to use a new dashboard. and a new dash would need a modchip to use.

pearl, id definately post sometihng at the xboxscene forums. youre more likely to get a reply there.

PJ: what happens when you try to load the disc, and is the EvoX executable named "default.xbe"?

Xavier: Xbox-Scene tutorials are the place to look for that kind of stuff. There is a no-mod exploit, and the new HD should work if it is locked, but it probably doesn't work on the newer Xboxes.

I have a V1.0 xbox and a Maxtor fireball drive. I put it on drive select and everything but to no avail. It just takes me to the error screen instead of loading the CD, it'll load the cd fine if I have the old hdd in there. I pretty much gave up on it as the drive was just a 20gig my friend had lying around. I am pretty sure it was the drives fault so I'll just wait till I can save up sum $$ and get a 120+gig.

I don't know if it's possible, as I don't have an XBox, but would it be feasible to use a laptop HD adapter and use a laptop harddrive, thus making the Xbox much quieter?

In my desktop machine, I'm using 2x travelstar 5400 laptop HDs, and the machine is significantly quieter. And the temperature is much lower.

I understand that there are Seagate quiet HDs as well, but don't they get pretty hot?

Originally posted by MTXBlau@Jun 14, 2004 @ 01:41 PM

I understand that there are Seagate quiet HDs as well, but don't they get pretty hot?

Not with the new ones. They aren't the fastest either, but they're still much faster than what comes stock in an Xbox. Anyway, a laptop drive would work, but the total cost is higher and the capacity is lower. Also, you're going to lose some speed if you get one that is slower. I'm not sure that it would significantly impact anything anyway, though. Unless space was an issue, I'd recommend using a suitably quiet and cool 3.5".

For my computer, I would never consider laptop HDDs because of the price/capacity issues. There are always ways to work on noise and heat in a good sized case, if its even an issue.

Back