Resuming progs

I started out with Go!Zilla, then moved on to GetRight, NetVampire, ReGet, and finally FlashGet. I'm still not more than 90% happy with any of 'em.

Any thoughts in general, or on something better?

I use GetRight but sometimes it goes a bit flakey.

I'd not heard of the others, except Go!Zilla.

Do you use FlashGet because you find it to be the best, or because it's the latest one you've tried?

Hi:

Reget Lite works great for me. I use to use getright about 2-3 years ago. Than swithed to DAP, but ever since they upgraded it to 4.0+, I've been getting poor results. So Reget lite is the "only" one I'll use now.

~Smmify

I forgot about DAP - I've used it too.

I've stuck with FlashGet because I like it the most, but it's still not right. The way it makes the files full sized on your HD as soon as it starts d/l-ing is way annoying.

I used to just love ReGet, but I got kinda pissed off at the last version of ReGet Pro [1.8 I think] I used because it kept crashing - every time it did it would lose the entire d/l list. I liked 1.6, but there was no way to stop it from asking about upgrading when I started it up, so I got 1.8.

I haven't tried ReGet Lite - even though I did d/l it once. Maybe I'll try it next.

The reason I ask is 'cause I just flushed my HD, and haven't put in anything yet on my fresh shiny Windows install.

Quote: from Mo Threat on 10:50 pm on Aug. 28, 2001

I've stuck with FlashGet because I like it the most, but it's still not right. The way it makes the files full sized on your HD as soon as it starts d/l-ing is way annoying.
At first, I kind of felt that way about it too. But then I realized that perhaps it's serves as a reservation for HDD space. Once reserved, no other program may write that the reserved space except FlashGet. So all FlashGet has to do is to append to that reserved HDD allocation until the file is complete. If you think about it, It's kind of like a fragment minimizer in a way.

It may become a problem (or at least makes you feel uneasy about it) if the files you are downloading are extremely huge. If you do run into that kind of situation, you should re-evaluate your decision to download such big files. If you really want those files, then it'd be okay, as long as you have the HDD space for them.

IIRC, this HDD allocation reservation scheme started with version 0.90 of FlashGet.

While we're on the topic of resume progs, here are what I've used:

• Netscape Smart Download
  • Go!Zilla
  • GetRight
  • FlashGet
Currently using FlashGet; I prefer it over all those I've used so far. Netscape Smart Download was just retarded; it creates 2 popup windows for every file download, one of them the same gay advertising banner window over and over again (gay b/c it keeps showing a guy while I prefer a chick). Go!Zilla had nice sound effects and all, but when I first tried it, I couldn't find the option to turn download monitoring off (or at least it was too #### hard to find such an option if it did exist, mind you it was one of the early versions). GetRight used to be my favorite for a while, but after a while, it started crashing and gave me the impression that it's unstable. When I started using FlashGet, I've completely abandoned GetRight. I've grown used to it and I prefer it as the download manager to use.

your all crazy

Getright is DA MAN of downloading programs, ive used it for 3 years and its still THE BEST program ive ever used (and yes ive used flashget, DAP, gozilla, netscape smart download, and i think 1 or 2 others but i cant recall the names)

so far flashget is the only 1 that comes close to matching Getright, but the only times ive ever preferred it is when there are many many downloads on 1 webpage (cuz then you can just say download all links on page, thats rather handy, with getright you got to do it manually)

but other then those rare and special circumstances Getright is the best, period

GetRight was cool for the longest time [I even used to use it for FTP d/l-s], but like Akuma said it's too prone to crashing.

BTW, I totally agree about Nutscrape's crap. It just plain blows. Much like all their other stuff [does a-n-y-o-n-e use that browser anymore? If so, why? It can't hold a candle to IE 5.xx and up.

I tried DAP again last night (hadta d/l another Roswell *.rm), but I just don't like it. I took it out this morning.

FlashGet is still numero uno me thinks. I know there's nothing really wrong with the filesize thing, but it still bugs me. Because of all the CD toasting I do I defrag every few days so that plus isn't - for me anyway. Also, it tends to crash when creating new folders. At least when it crashes it doesn't erase the d/l list. Oh, and the new folders are always there when you load it back up. :)

Quote: from Shinshiro on 1:09 pm on Aug. 29, 2001

so far flashget is the only 1 that comes close to matching Getright, but the only times ive ever preferred it is when there are many many downloads on 1 webpage (cuz then you can just say download all links on page, thats rather handy, with getright you got to do it manually
)
IIRC, I think there is a way for GetRight to do it too, I think it's under File and Process web page or something. I remember Mo Threat mentioning this on the old SX ezboard.

I've used GetRight from day 1.

However there was a time I looked elsewhere, due to crashing problems. I think it was when they started using banner ads and skins and the like.

I find if you Reg it and ignore the skinning option it's 100% stable... at least it is on my Windows 2000 installation, but then again so is everything :p

I couldn't get used to any of the other download managers and eventually went back to GetRight. It's usually the first program I install after re-installing... well maybe Sonique is...

Quote: from Mo Threat on 2:28 pm on Aug. 29, 2001

BTW, I totally agree about Nutscrape's crap. It just plain blows. Much like all their other stuff [does a-n-y-o-n-e use that browser anymore? If so, why? It can't hold a candle to IE 5.xx and up.

I use NS still just because I can't stand MS. But if you haven't tried NS 6.1 it's worth a look. It's FAR more stable over 6.0 and 6.01 and just as fast as IE 5.x as far as I can tell. Still has a few little tweaks in its mail program, but other than that it's slowly replacing Communicator over here.

I like a lot Download Mage!

Have allmosta all functions of DAP and GetRight!

And don't consume Systems memory like the other two does
smile.gif

Back