Saturn - Netlink v3.0

Quote: from Nimoy on 12:40 pm on Feb. 16, 2002

HTTP_USER_AGENT of Netlink:

Mozilla/2.0 (compatible; PlanetWeb/1.011 Golden; SEGA Saturn; TV; 640,480)

Mozilla/2.0 (compatible; PlanetWeb/1.135 Golden; SEGA Saturn; TV; 640,480)

Mozilla/2.0 (compatible; PlanetWeb/1.147 Beta Update; SEGA Saturn; TV; 640,480)

This is QUITE easy to fake in Netscape (hard to near impossible under IE). As a result I just went and downloaded the 4.035 Beta. Is it really only ~470k? How long does it take for you guys to normally download it?

The downloadable file is small, but if you look at it with a hex editor or similar, you'll notice it's actually a zip file with a self-extractor before it. Remove the header and it'll unpack with regular zip tools. (A zip archive starts with the letters "PK")

Anyway, for something different, visit Saturn Online (www.satonline.fr.st) for an image of the Finnish Netlink software dumped by yours truly. Also check out N00bs' Netlink FAQ for some info about all things Netlink.

If you'd like to host the Netlink update yourself, you have to serve it with the mimetype "application/x-planetweb-app-segasaturn".

oh wow... your right... I just got a file called segaup.bin... can this file me replace with one of the file on the netlink CD... and then I'd even have a work v4.0 Beta CD =^_^=

Clearly the main browser is stored in the 00000000.000 file on the CD (thanks for posting it to the ng btw!). The only program I know of that can replace a file in an image is CDmage but it can only do it if the file is the same size (otherwise it truncates it or adds extra 0's as needed). Is there any program that can replace a file in a CD image and rebuild the image from there on out?

WinISO is the program I used to replace the 00000000.000 file.... the CD starts to boot... and then stops... I'm wondering if the file is set to boot from CD... or not... like some homemade stuff is for the PAR.. and a different version to boot from CD

well I never changed anything in the file.... just renamed updatee1d0f379 to temp.zip and then extracted the file without any problems...using WinRAR

Sorry, can't help you with making a CD. If you know how, you could try building your own ISO. I would have tried myself, but my modchip is still in the mail. I did disassemble the upgrade but my skillz aren't quite mad enough. The bit I did manage to trace the original and the upgrade (before my mind started melting) looked similar enough, but it was probably just standard library startup code.

I belive this topic has been discussed in the Dev forum. As far as I could understand, the "executable" you see is either not complete or isn't executable at all but an overlay, as described in the GCC documentation (an overlay, simmilar to DLL's in windows, is a file with code that is loaded while the program is already running). How does the browser react after the upgrade? Does it "reboots", or loads files from the CD?

My teory is that there should be an equivalent file, not the main one, and that there should be some simmilar ASCII text between the both (maybe part of a function prototype), or maybe there is some GFX inside that is changed (assuming there is a change, I never saw a NetLink before).

(Edited by TakaIsSilly at 9:26 pm on Feb. 18, 2002)

Yes... if you do download the newer browser... it reboots... and then loads the newer one from memory.... I suppose if I wanted to... I could change the html code of the start up page... I could have it load the browser from the CD... don't know if that would work... but would be interesting to try...

I thought I would mention that lordbat2000 claims to have done what the impossible....

"...the great thing about the mod chip is that i was able

to download the update from planetweb, and update the binary on an iso of the version 2.0 browser i made.

it's still in testing, but i seem to have cd of planetweb version 4.035 beta that boots properly and works! has anyone else tried this that you know of?..."

In a reply to my E-mail he said:

"nobody was more surprised than i was - i don't even

really know what i'm doing! but it was an idea and it

seems to work! when i have a decent, reliable version

i will put the details in a "read me" doc for the iso."

Now, I don't know if he's telling the truth or not but he said he would send me and ISO when he does some more testing.... Oh, and if your wondering... the reason he sent me an E-mail is because I'm the guy who has been writting the one and only Netlink FAQ. TTFN

Noob

Well I recieved the ISO today and there is at least a bit of hope..... While I can't confirm it since I have a ISP who doesn't enable the use of the Netlink (i.e. AOL :( ; which is not my fault) but I can confirm that it boots and states that a recently viewed page was "Netlink 4.0"! Does anyone know how I can confirm that it is 4.0 without actually getting on the net? Anyhow, I plan on uploading it to a site and having someone test it..... If there is no way to test if it works without actually getting online, then someone interested in possibly wasting a CD-R, give me any E-mail at Noobsa44[at]aol.com TTFN

Noob

I just got an e-mail from someone too who send me the netlink 4.0 ISO.... and yes it... it does actually work.. and does boot up with the default 4.035 web page... =^_^=....

Hey ppl,

That netlink think intrests me.

What do I need for it, is there a Saturn Modem or some kind of adapter to connect it to DSL Broadband?

broadband predates the saturn a bit

the saturn netlink is a modem and browser software, so you need to find the netlink itself to make much use of it

ebay is probabbly your best bet

Back