Saturn Repair?

i got a sega saturn off ebay a little while ago. the unit had a broken AV cable, and was otherwise noted as being fine. however it seems that the CD unit is broke, it boots to the saturn CD loader fine, so i beleave the rest of the unit is working but no spinning occurs.

Is there any way to replace the CD rom unit?

does anyone have a junked saturn with a working CD that they could part with?

thanks, Machs_FueL

Have you checked the inside of the Saturn, yet? Sometimes these a-holes leave loose wires inside once they realize that it can't be modded so they simply sell it in whatever shape it's in whitout a care in the world.

As for parts... Well, the last online vendor I remember selling replacement parts was Lik-San. But last I've heard was that they substantially reduced their Saturn inventory so you might be SOL there. Also, check with your local electrician, he might be able to repair your saturn without having to replace any parts, or replace any faulty parts with alternates that can work just as well. Ya never know....

Also make sure the cable ribbon is properly inserted, most of the time that causes the saturn not to spin the cd.

Try this:

Open up the saturn and inspect the laser assembly, you will see an orange pot (potentiometer) under it near the ribbon cable that connects to the laser PCB. Turn the pot 5 degrees clockwise,this will make the laser stronger so it can read the cd's Ive done this on my other saturn which has a problem like yours and now it's working fine hope this could help ;)

well i played with all the trimmers and pots on the CD board to no avail, check the small grey wires connecting to the lower board, there is at least one +5v line, so i suppose that the CD gets power.

I'm going to phone an inquire about claiming the insurance on from the post office, i talked to the seller and apperently the unit was working before i recieved it

Hi, the exact same thing happened me when I bought a Saturn from e-bay. The unit would boot, but the cd motor wouldn't spin up to load games or audio cd's. It turned out that the little button/cd holder that you press the cd onto (that locks the cd into the saturn) had been pushed down somehow, and the cd couldnt spin because it was making full contact with the plastic of the saturn. I only noticed this because the cd couldnt be spun by hand without scraping off the saturns plastic. I was able to pull this little cd holder back up into position with two small screwdrivers. Luckily that fixed mine........

Back