Sega Saturn ModChip HELP

I just received my Saturn modchip from the Racketboy store. For installation, I chose the A+B method, since I have the 64-pin IC (Model 2). Sadly, when the system boots up, I get a green cube on the left-hand side and a green sphere to the right. The message is "Checking disc type" (or format... one of the two).

What puzzles me is the fact that the pins on the modchip seem to be on the opposite side of the metal contacts on the PCB. However, I installed the modchip so that the soldered side faces away from the system, with the ICs facing the system (as noted on all Websites). For giggles, I turned the chip around to no avail. When I remove the chip, my system works just fine.

Any ideas?

I had to open and close my lid 2 times to get it to work. Before that, the discs were seen as audio. I also have a 64pin chip.

Hope this helps.

Thank you for your reply. However, my disc does not spin up.

I'm sorry, I did not give enough information. I've been modding consoles for years now, so I should have known to include more info.

What I've done:

- Removed ribbon cable from the motherboard

-= Ribbon cable is twisted, with blue stripe on bottom (facing mobo)

- Plugged ribbon cable into the chip (with blue line down)

- Rather than bridge A+B, I soldered the wire from A to B, since removing a bridge is harder for me than removing a soldered wire :)

- Soldered the power (red) wire to the +5v mentioned in the install guide

Now, when I first turn on the unit, the CD unit "clicks," once. However, I get no lens movement. When the unit turns on, there's a green cube on the left and a green sphere to the right w/the error message "Checking Media Type (or format, one of the two)."

What I've tested:

Using a Voltmeter, I tested:

- +5 volt from the mod chip to the red wire solder point and I have A) a valid connection AND B) +5 volts when the unit is turned on.

- A->B solder point and I have a solid connection

Therefore, I have no idea what can be wrong. I used the A+B method since I have the 64-pin IC (arg!). Now, I figure soldering to pin 8 won't fix my issue, as my CD-ROM doesn't even spin up the disk at this point. I'm perplexed because the pins on the chip seem to face the mobo (inward), whereas all install pics have the ICs facing the mobo and solder points facing away... which makes it seem like the pins don't connect correctly. As such, I tried flipping the chip, yet I get the EXACT same results. Any ideas?

Back