Sony Handheld

Originally posted by Cloud121@May 15, 2003 @ 08:12 PM

WHY WHY WHY must they keep recycling the same ol' gay "PlayStation" name? WHY?!!!

it's called branding

why do you think "Gameboy" is still around?

it's engrained in the public's mind.

a lot of people now use the term "Playstation" as a generic term for video games

just like "Nintendo" use to be.

Well, if that's true then screw those clueless faggots.
rolleyes.gif
I think Cloud has a point... PlayStation has to be about the most uninspired name ever for a game console... it's so practical on one hand, so focused on purpose, yet so bland... never did have a ring to it. Microsoft could've done worse with XBox, it's not the greatest name either but it's not bad except it also underscores the boxiness of the XBox.
tongue.gif
Nintendo is in second place for me with Gameboy (cute) and Gamecube (love the cube part) plus obviously there's a consistency in giving their home and portable systems the "Game" part.

And then...

...then there's Sega. Ahhh.
smile.gif
Dammit, they've just always had the BEST names ever.
smile.gif
Genesis, with its biblical, enigmatic touch. Saturn, named after a celestial body. And the Dreamcast, oh! the Dreamcast... that name alone embodies what the DC really stood for: dreams, the thought of things possible with that wonderful system. OK, so Sega/Mega CD wasn't terribly original but then that was back when superlatives like "mega" worked on the consuming public.
wink.gif

EDIT: one more thing I just realized... maybe sticking with PlayStation isn't just about branding, rather it would suggest downward compatibility. I don't know if the SNES could ever play NES games, but the PS2 plays PS1 games, the Gameboy Advance plays Gameboy Color and Gameboy Pocket games... whereas Sega always came up with new systems that made a fresh start AND gave them new names accordingly. Ever notice that?

One might be tempted to think that the PlayStation Portable won't be terribly groundbreaking in that we might see a lot of PS1 (PS2?) ports/clones on it.

I don´t think any of these new handheld consoles will do any good. The GBA is the handheld king of 2d and has a good deal of great 3d games to. Check www.gbacentral.net for some new info about upcomming nintendo and sega games. Really, Sony can´t match that, since all of sony´s exclusive PS titles have GBA releases (Tekken, Crash Bandicot, and more). Not that I like any of those, but they won´t have any advantage from third party developers like in the PS vs SAT battle.

Also, I doubt this new handheld will last much longer than two hours with a normal set of batteries. Just think of it : optical disks (motors), backlit screen, many hi-tech processors, big screen and other things that really eat power. I don´t think it will work.

Originally posted by Daniel Eriksson@May 15, 2003 @ 08:36 PM

I don´t think any of these new handheld consoles will do any good. The GBA is the handheld king of 2d and has a good deal of great 3d games to. Check www.gbacentral.net for some new info about upcomming nintendo and sega games. Really, Sony can´t match that, since all of sony´s exclusive PS titles have GBA releases (Tekken, Crash Bandicot, and more).

too bad I heard the new Crazy Taxi game sucked

Originally posted by Taelon@May 15, 2003 @ 08:31 PM

Well, if that's true then screw those clueless faggots.
rolleyes.gif
I think Cloud has a point... PlayStation has to be about the most uninspired name ever for a game console... it's so practical on one hand, so focused on purpose, yet so bland... never did have a ring to it. Microsoft could've done worse with XBox, it's not the greatest name either but it's not bad except it also underscores the boxiness of the XBox.
tongue.gif
Nintendo is in second place for me with Gameboy (cute) and Gamecube (love the cube part) plus obviously there's a consistency in giving their home and portable systems the "Game" part.

For a while Nintendo had some pretty "un-creative" names.

Nintendo Entertainment System

Super Nintendo

Nintendo 64 (originally named Ultra Nintendo and Ultra64)

I don't think batteries will be that much of a problem... I would expect upcoming portable game systems to be still smaller than a PDA, and be able to run off a rechargeable lithium battery for, who knows, four hours? Five? It should be decent...

And don't forget, Nokia already dominates the cell phone market, so they should have enough power behind them to break into the gaming industry.

Originally posted by VertigoXX@May 15, 2003 @ 08:57 PM

And don't forget, Nokia already dominates the cell phone market, so they should have enough power behind them to break into the gaming industry.

except for the fact that playing games on cellphone sucks.

There are just some tasks that shouldn't be combined into the same device.

Originally posted by racketboy+May 15, 2003 @ 01:16 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(racketboy @ May 15, 2003 @ 01:16 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-VertigoXX@May 15, 2003 @ 08:57 PM

There are just some tasks that shouldn't be combined into the same device. [/b][/quote]

Speaking of things that shouldn't be combined, expect to see much more car accidents when the NGage is out. :cheers

Originally posted by SegaFreak+May 16, 2003 @ 12:59 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SegaFreak @ May 16, 2003 @ 12:59 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by racketboy@May 15, 2003 @ 01:16 PM

<!--QuoteBegin-VertigoXX
@May 15, 2003 @ 08:57 PM

There are just some tasks that shouldn't be combined into the same device.

Speaking of things that shouldn't be combined, expect to see much more car accidents when the NGage is out. :cheers [/b][/quote]

yeah I think more states need to pass laws banned cell phone use while driving (unless maybe you have a headset)

I'm getting tired of dodging idiot drivers on their cell phones.

They look so clueless when they run you off the road with their mega huge SUVs
angry.gif

Originally posted by racketboy@May 16, 2003 @ 01:19 PM

yeah I think more states need to pass laws banned cell phone use while driving (unless maybe you have a headset)

I'm getting tired of dodging idiot drivers on their cell phones.

They look so clueless when they run you off the road with their mega huge SUVs
angry.gif

Avtually studies have shown that using a cell phone directly or with a hands free headset thingy still causes the same amount of accidents. The problem isn't the cell phone but the fact that the person becomes occupied with the conversation. Only safe thing is to ban cell phone use period.

:agree I cant count how many times I've had to avoid other drivers because they were not paying attention while on their cell phone.

Originally posted by VertigoXX@May 15, 2003 @ 12:57 AM

The one thing about Nokia is that they have a more than the cell phone market cornered, they have the 'neat gadget' one as well. Nokia, while trying to break into the upper echelon of the hardcore gamer, will already have a sales base in those who want the item for the sheer novelty. I mean, it is what it is - a gaming system with mp3, fm radio and a cell phone to boot.

Another thing to cash in on is vanity and 'fashion' - GBA isn't cool or hip (it's pretty geeky/nerdy outside of gaming circles) but a cell phone, that's quite something else. Playing video games on a cell phone is quite different from playing them on a dedicated system. A similar example? Two way pagers. You can't use them as cell phones, the service areas are smaller and they're time consuming to type on, yet they're fairly popular (or, they were). Finally, these Nokias will be a status symbol. $300 is quite a bit for a cell phone.

All these things considered, it's no wonder why so many companies jumped on the bandwagon.

Originally posted by MTXBlau@May 16, 2003 @ 05:58 PM

All these things considered, it's no wonder why so many companies jumped on the bandwagon.

Including our good buddy Sega.
wink.gif

Back