Trouble with Dragon Force (NTSC on PAL)

Hi folks,

I have problems with the game Dragon Force.

I own a PAL Saturn(old model) and play the US version of Dragon Force using the Action Replay Pro (1.7f).

Randomly after a battle when it should go back to the worldmap the screen just stays black and the Saturn is not doing anything. (about 10-20% of the time)

Considering the fact that I can only save in domestic affairs and not on the overworld map (Action replay has save slots but you can't use them ingame, only in the action replay menu) this causes major trouble. (with about 10 or more battles every turn)

All my equipment is very old (Saturn memory even not memorizing after power off :) ), but I always had this problem. All is original, no copies or anything.

This probably is a region error isn't it? NTSC on PAL....

Japanese games play fine though.

Emulators don't play Dragon Force, a CD copy has the same problems and I can't buy/use a RAM Cad. since I need the Action Replay to start the game.

Can anyone recommend any workaround? I don't want to buy a US Saturn, I am not skilled enough to built a 50/60hz switch (hell I don't even know if that's really the problem)

Can anyone help me out? I really want to play this, it's one of the greatest.

Thanks

Varlis

oh and while we are on the topic: Where can I get a new battery for the saturn? Can I just buy any similar model from an electronics store?

I can't think why you should be having a problem playing the NTSC version of Dragon Force on a PAL Saturn...

You mention using a CD copy - if you're able to boot a copy you can use SatConv to convert the country code of a disc image (ripping guides here) so that you don't need the action replay any more.

Is the battery in your Saturn flat? I've not expereinced it myself, but I seem to recall hearing of problems saving games on a system with a dead battery. You can replace it with a plain old CR-2032 or equivalent which you should be easy to find. I bought my last one from the supermarket.

speaking of replacing cr-2032 batteries, i have to replace mine but there seems to be something over the battery which prevents me from taking it out. any ideas how to take it out without breaking the black plastic covering?

Thank you for the advice but to play a copied CD I still need the AR.

I have no modchip or whatsoever - I do the good old swapping. (yeah I know it's bad for the laser...)

It's much harder (if not even impossible) without the AR.

So this would not be a solution.

You need to get better at swapping. :p

Seriously, try replacing the battery. It could be the source of the problem.

Piratero - you need to push the battery away from you just a little and then the edge you're pushing on will easily flip up, allowing you to remove it.

I don't think it's the battery.

I mean, after about 2mins of being turned off my saturn forgets every savegame and time setting whatsoever, but while power is up everything runs fine.

And it is not a problem of saving, I just mentioned that because you also have the option of saving on the overland map, but only with an external memory (which the PAR is not).

The bug is not related to that I think.

I also downloaded a different US Version of the game and patched it to european code....It still happened.

Funny is the total randomness of the crash, I can play 50 battles just fine and another time every 2nd time it hangs...

And yes-> *g* I DEFINETELY need to get better at swapping, guess my saturn won't survive long with my style.

That sounds like an empty battery to me! :)

And swapping is more likely to harm the spindle or drive mechanism, is it not?

I guess the next thing to ask is how are you burning the CD-R's.

Oh yeah, are you doing a single or double swap?

Ok got a new battery fitted in.

Problem is still there.

Originally I do not need to swap for Dragon Force since I own the original and play it with the PAR.

When I swap I do a single swap with the PAR.

Meaning:

1.) Boot up with copy

2.) Change disc to original PAL in AR Menu

3.) Wait for the 3rd flash and insert Copy.

Works everytime with for example

Radiant Silvergun

Shining Force 3.1 - 3.3 and so on

Just doesn't work with Dragon Force.

(I mean I can swap it with the PAR but still get the Black Screen bug,

I cannot swap it without the PAR, even a double swap with a region patched copy still brings me to the incomatible disc screen or simply hangs)

Suggestions?

*edit*

Maybe I burn them wrong or use bad CD-Rs now. (Verbatim)

I used Nero and just burned the image I downloaded from the net. (Also US version, I thought my CD might be garbled)

I also tried making an iso from my original, patch and burn it again. To no avail.

Either use the double swap method or try with a different original.I could not get dragon force to work either,unless I used Worms (E) or the double swap method.Same with plenty of my other copies,some will work only work with certain originals because of TOC differences (I assume)...the double swap fixes the toc issue.

Back