Uk sega dreamcast light gun?

Since the official Sega light gun was never released here in North America, and reviews of third party Dreamcast guns aren't exactly glowing, I was thinking of getting some Dreamcast guns from the UK. Will a gun for a PAL Dreamcast work on a NTSC one?

I'm thinking of bidding on eBay for a couple of the Sega guns from the UK, but if anyone knows of a better place to find them, please share. :)

Thanks.

I havn't ever tested this myself so all I can say is I think so. Assuming they use the same controller port style I really don't see why they wouldn't work on your machine. It's only if/when they change the port size/shape or the wiring that you tend ot run into that problem.

I did a bit of searching around, and it appears that Dreamcast guns from either Asia or Europe do work on a US NTSC DC, or any DC for that matter.

The North American version of House of the Dead 2 is designed so that it doesn't recognize Sega's official gun though. Damn.

Does the Euro release have a 50/60Hz switch menu like most games do? If it does you could just burn the Euro release or pick it up from UK eBay
smile.gif

I'm trying to get my hands on at least one official Sega gun, and maybe a Mad Catz one. The reviews of the Catz gun seem to be positive... much, much more positive than the reviews of the Interact gun, but the Sega one seems to be the best overall.

A local EB here as a package of a Mad Catz gun with a copy of Confidential Mission for $62 CAD. A little pricey, but I'm thinking about it...

Well, thanks for the input.

You may want to check out Lan-Kwei's Dreamcast page at http://www.lan-kwei.com/dcE/

They have a pretty good selection of guns. I find most all guns are pretty damn accurate, it's just finding the one that fits nicest in your hand for me.

Oh yeah, check out the bio gun
tongue.gif
Is it me or did that come off the same mold as the old orange Virtua Cop guns
smile.gif

DBOY, yeah, I've noticed that quite a few third party guns look a whole lot like Sega's old stunner.

Supergrom, either Lik Sang or Lan Kwei, or both, has a gun that supports Silent Scope. It isn't anything like the arcade version though. The gun has a d-pad on it and you use it to target, then use the gun's trigger to fire. It's a bit better than the controller, but not by much.

Oh, does anyone happen to know if the US NTSC versions of Confidential Mission or the Sega Smash Pack's Virtua Cop 2 are designed so that the official Sega gun doesn't work with them? I know House of the Dead 2 won't work with a Sega gun, but I'm not sure if HotD2 is the only game programmed to do that.

Seems like a bit of overkill to me, seeing as how the only way to use the Sega gun is to import it, but ah well.

The official UK gun WILL work on NTSC machines, but believe it or not the gun appears to have territory lockout. A have a PAL machine with an official PAL Sega gun, and when loading the USA version of Confidential Mission or Death Crimson OX a warning is displayed on booting telling you the gun is not designed for the US version of the game. What a pain in the arse
angry.gif

You're telling me.

So, it seems as if the gun works fine but it looks like all of the US NTSC versions of the games are designed so that you can't use Sega's gun with them. Talk about going overkill with protecting North America from big, bad, horrible plastic guns.

So it looks like these US NTSC games have official gun lockout:

House of the Dead 2

Death Crimson OX

Confidential Mission

Has anyone tried the US NTSC Virtua Cop 2 on the Sega Smash Pack, or the stand-alone version of Virtua Cop 2? Or any other light gun games for that matter?

Back