WHAT SATURN GAME HAD THE BEST GFX

Originally posted by fivefeet8@Aug. 19 2002, 9:42 am

1. Astal(still the best damn looking 2d game with beautiful music to boot)

I was just gonna say 'What about Astal?' This game has some of the most beautiful graphics on any system! I think all the other games I rate highly have already been mentioned in this thread.

i thought mr bones used mostley pre rendered stuff? and games with fmv? most systems use fmv,i hardley consider playing a video using a systems potential to the full.i mean i personally think thats what sold most psx games.in the uk you hardly ever saw the actual graphics of the games,in the tv ads.you just saw the fmv of it.and people rushed out to buy it under the illusion it was the in game graphics.but hey what do i know.

Virtua Fighter 2: When this game came out, everyone were amazed with its high resolution (704x480) and high frame rate. But it hasnt as many polygons and details as the arcade version had.

Dead Or Alive: Another game that used VF2 graphics system. 60 fps and 704x480 pixels. But with more effects than VF2. (eg. You can see the female fighters boobs bouncing when they jump and hit the floor)

Nights: Defnetly it has the most colorful and detailed 3D graphics on the saturn.

Panzer Dragoon Series: All 3 PD games have great 3D graphics.

Astal: One of the brightest 2D graphics I've ever seen

Burning Rangers: One of the last ones to see the daylight, used the same graphic system of Nights but it has a very slow frame rate what made the gameplay very annoyng.

Croc: It doenst have perfect 3D graphics but they are good. Its worht having it if you think that this game is one of the few games you can explore 3D worlds on saturn.

Wipe Out XL (2097 on Europe): This game have great graphics and good frame rate, much better than the 1st version, it almos reaches the PlayStation version. But the PlayStation still have a little more framerate and collors.

Radiant Silvergun: I have to say this game has the greatest graphics among the shooters, combined with the grate gameplay it is a must have.

Sonic R: Very good graphics and frame rate.

Terra Cresta 3D: Following Radiant Silvergun with good effects and a little slowdowns it is the second best shooter game in graphics and gameplay.

The conclusion you might see is that Sega has the games with best graphics for saturn. Only a few other softhouses made good 3D or 2D graphics for saturn.

Originally posted by nomo@April 10 2002, 1:56 am

vf2 have a nice frame per second (60 a really really nice ok) but we are in this topic about the graph not about the fps.................
smile.gif

PDS rules!

Grandia have a nice ones too!

Don't forget deep fear

graphics and fps go hand to hand.

The display refreshes at 60/50Hz but normal TV uses interlacing giving you a frame rate of 30/25Hz. Consoles can display low-res images at full frame rate, you just lose vertical resolution when doing so.

Panzer Dragoon Saga - Wonderful FMV and Great storyline.

Deep Fear - My worst nightmare...Resident Evil...Underwater trapped in a submarine...

ThunderForce V - Awesome graphics and Wonderful Music!!

AMOK - I dig the music in the game alot!!

Die Hard Arcade - Cool all around....Just gotta play it.

Sonic R - Excellent graphics, solid gameplay, and terrific music all the way...

Gale Racer - was cool classics never die...

Dead or Alive - Smooth looking graphics....good game.

Burning Rangers - most Colorful game on the Saturn...rivals Nights Xmas Ed easily..

Xmas Nights - Wonderful game, took awhile to get used to.....but found it alot of fun after awhile

Rockman X4 - I am a HUGE Mega Man freak!! I love this version of the game!!

Baroque - Best game overall IMO, I can sit and listen to the music and watch the FMV all day on this game....Its even got 3 different beginnings...Very tight game...Very sad its only in Japanese.
sad.gif

SDF Macross : Do You Remember Love? - It actually beats the PSX in graphics during the game and the music is the best, unfortunately the PSX version has way better FMV on this one though.

Tunnel B1 - Stupid game IMO, but the Music is so superb it was worth buying just to listen to the music tracks....

Solar Eclipse - Great FMV and its the sequal to Total Eclipse, you cant go wrong!

Dracula X Symphony of the Night (Or whatever it was called in japan) Best version ever!! Yes I have both PSX and Sat. and Sat is better...little slow here and there but so what.

and about the resolution thing, I believe that PDS used it with its Letterboxed FMV, if not NO game used it then, as PDS looks the best visually....Oh well, those are just my opinions....NEXT!!

if you want to know what games use the high- or med-res of the sat just start satourne and throw them at it - the graphics window will resize itself accordingly and present the resolution at the top. RS has high-res for the intro-screens but reverts to low-res ingame if I remember correctly.

60 fps and 704x480 pixels

Nope, can't be done on a standard TV. To get 60 fps you need to render one frame per field, and to get 480 lines you need to render one frame per two fields. Saturn might not even support 60 fps with 480 lines, but I'm not sure...

Very, very few Saturn games used 704x480 (the cropped NTSC resolultion, BTW. The maximum NTSC res is 720x480), *in-game*, but many used it on menus. You can tell a high-res mode when the image is "tearing", or "shimmering".

The only games I recall using in-game high res were VF2, Dead or Alive, Last Bronx (VF2 engine), Decathlete (Athlete Kings?) and Saturn Bomberman' large arena.

You can't get TRUE 60fps in high res mode, BUT, you can render the game internally at 60fps, compose interlaced frames and send them over the TV. It's still 30fps, but the movement, as seen in the aforementioned games, looks much smoother than a low-res 30fps game (Shining Force 3, as example). You can tell the difference between 30fps and 60fps games because 30fps games have a "ghosting" effect when things are moving. In 60fps games (nearly all the 2D games run at 60fps) you can actually follow fast moving objects with your eye and not notice it jumping positions (bullets in a shooter).

And I nominate:

Grandia, for it's abusive use of sorted textures, excellent resolution, awesome color usage, and for it's creative, well-designed, and over-detailed locations. Also most spells used lush transparencies, a rare thing on the Saturn.

Shining Force III (mainly Scenarios 2 and 3), for it's gouraud shading godness, the awesome 3D battle character models, the creative usage of Saturn's sprite-to-background transparency FX, and the best technically conceived textures I ever seen on the Saturn, that hardly pixelate, keeping the game looking smooth. Some almost seems bilinear filtered.

Panzer Dragoon Zwei, for it's scale feeling (everything is huuuuge), it's animation, the water effects in level 4 and the bosses. THE BOSSES.

Panzer Dragoon Saga, for the walk and battle sequences. I find the free-flight areas too bland, when compared to the lush found in Zwei. The foot areas, on the other hand, are fully gouraud shaded, and the indoors... oh shit! Look at all those little objects! The battle sequences are the cream, offering some of the coolest camera movement I even seen.

Originally posted by M3d10n@Aug. 22 2002, 2:06 am

The only games I recall using in-game high res were VF2, Dead or Alive, Last Bronx (VF2 engine), Decathlete (Athlete Kings?) and Saturn Bomberman' large arena.

Also Anarchy in the Nippon (maybe I got the name wrong)

in my opinion grandia is the one which has best gfx. the testures look even sharper than on psx and all the highq fmv at great fps...
ohmy.gif
well, somehow the in game fps is so bad that i get a headache sooner than with other games...

VF2 for it's 640x480 resolution graphics,60 FPS and amazing texture work. It's no PSX game that beats VF2 in graphics departament.

Back