Wireless NES and SNES Controller

racketboy

Established Member
Am I the only one that missed these?

Here is my recent blog entry after I spotted these in my new issue of WIRED.

The company is making high-quality wireless controllers inspired by the WaveBirds for classic systems.

Has anyone seen these?

Never used a wireless controller, but I really don't see the gigantic advantage it has over a normal controller. The fact that it's wireless doesn't really sell it to me..

have you ever used multiple WaveBirds with friends?
I find it quite blissful :D

Keyboards and mice isn't as great 'cause you don't move them much.

For me a Wavebird is invaluable. And with a battery life of 80+ hours they aren't really a concern.

Obviously you guys don't have people walking back and forth infront of you half the time. It also helps if you sit back more than 8 feet from your TV.

IceMan2k said:
Never was a fan of wireless stuff. Too much of a hassle.

really? No hassle for me.
In fact, it's less of a hassle not having to either:
A.) deal with the cables being all over the place if I leave them plugged in.
B.) having to plug them in all the time.

I know WaveBirds are easy to set up. Just plug in the receiver and go. And hust turn the channel knob to keep multiple controllers on different channels.

I was discussing wireless controllers today, and I noted down a pro and a con:

Pro: It's doesn't have a cord - benefits: you won't trip over it, you can be virtually any distance from your console with it.

Con: Usually third-party controller - my general consensus is that you can't go wrong with first party controllers, so I tend to stick with them. For the record, I have had many bad experiences with third party controllers. I also enjoy the novelty of using first party controllers with their respective consoles - it's the controller you'd associate with the console B)

To me, the con was more important than the pro - after all, I never have the urge to play games at great distances away from the console, and as for tripping over the cord...well, if it happens it doesn't bother me too much (definately not enough for me to rush of and buy a wireless controller), needless to say tripping over the cord is never really worried about much, and rarely happens anyway.

Actually, after I made that point, I went on to joke about misfortunes that could be possible with a wireless controller:

- you could forget the location of your controller (just like you do with tv remotes)
- you could accidentally sit on it (no cord = harder to notice), resulting in a less than comfortable experience ;)

By the end of the discussion, I was even more inclined to stick with my cords....

....and besides - I like the feel of the cords between my toes :D

In case you didn't know, the WaveBird IS a Nintendo-made product.
And one advantage of these NES and SNES controllers is that they aren't 20 years old, look nice, and are comfortable. That's gotta be worth something.

Yeah, I didn't really know .. but I suspected. That's why I said "usually" ;)

But I don't think there is point in having a "wireless vs cords" debate, since the answers are based upon whether you like it or not. Ah well :lol:

CrazyGoon said:
But I don't think there is point in having a "wireless vs cords" debate, since the answers are based upon whether you like it or not. Ah well :lol:
Indeed. But isn't that like not comparing a (corded) phone to a cordless phone? In most cases (except where the user won't be roaming - mouse/keyboard) the convenience of anything cordless (that works properly) far out weighs the minor drawback of requiring a battery.

I love my Wavebird. When buying a game that is on the GC as well as another console, I will almost always buy the GC version. My consoles are in my living room; and the couch is 20-30 ft from the systems. To play anything else, I have to build a pillow nest on the floor.

jamesc359 said:
But isn't that like not comparing a (corded) phone to a cordless phone? In most cases (except where the user won't be roaming - mouse/keyboard)...
You have to be in front of the screen to play a game, where as you can be anywhere you like when you talk. That's the difference. You should have added gamepads after "mouse/keyboard" since I don't think you will be roaming far ;)

schi0249 - if you can't move the couch closer then get a nice beanbag - they're awesome for games ;)

Yes you do have to be in front of a TV to play. But unlike a PC you can sit anywhere in the room when playing a video game, be it 5', 10' or even 20' from the GameCube. Unless of course you're attached to a 6 foot cord. Thats why a wireless controller is far more convenient. .....That and not having tangled up cords to deal with.

In my bedroom, I have all of my classic consoles. I don't know how many damn times my cats tear through the bedroom know the freaking controller out of my hand. They run straight at the cord, and I loss the controller.

they used to have wireless controllers back in the day... but they kinda sucked...

If you remember them then you'll remember that you couldn't have ANYTHING between you or your console or the controller wouldn't work... period... and it's distance wasn't all that great.

The wavebird's distance of 30 feet (i think) and it's ability to transmit through (or around?) objects is also very very very nice. This technology being applied to older vintage systems is a great idea, i think... provided the price is nice. Now you gotta find the demand.

Btw, does anyone have pictures?

I had one of the old NES ones. They eat batteries like the Sega GG. The distance on them sucked. And nothing could block. Thats why I swore off wireless until the wavebird.

Back