$250 is TOO MUCH for the Wii!

Come on, Nintendo! Don't continue the tradition of MILKING your loyal fans!

I, and the rest of the world, was hoping for a CHEAP Wii. Something around $150...with maybe an extra controller. I hope that the Xbox360 gets a price cut down to $250 just to watch the Wii fail like the PS3 will

Yeah that's pretty bad because it was the only system interesting to me, there's a new trailer at nintendo wii site and all the games looked like crazy fun but too expensive for me so waiting for a prize drop as usual.

250 isnt bad even if the 360 drops i would rather have a wii i had a 360 for a month and didnt really enjoy any of the games(except dead rising but even that got old) it seems to me PlaceboHead your all about the newest gfx so in that case you should get a 360 i plan on preordering a wii today and i cant wait it looks like alot of fun and i dont mind that the gfx wont be top of the line call of duty 3 still looks badass

The price seems fair to me. I mean really, it's $250 because Wii Sports is packed in; take that game out, and technically it's $200. But there you go, a seemingly fun title off the bat; it's no Twilight Princess, but it's still going to be fun. And it's not like you can't sell Wii Sports and get some money back to pay for another game. If you look at it, $250 for a console and a game isn't that bad.

It's EUR 249 for Europe, no thanks N! At least it should have had the classic controller pack-in instead of wii sports.

I really don't see any problem with a $250 price tag, at all. If you want to get raped by someone try getting a PS3 and the HD setup to go with it, just make sure to bring some lube along. I don't know if you remember, or simply aren't old enough to know, but $250 has always been a good price way back to the older consoles. Considering $250 is worth a lot less now then it was back in the day, you probably don't realize how much _less_ this console is priced compared to old systems.

I don't think we have it bad at all (in the US), $250 is extremely cheap for a new console -- especially considering how much $250 is worth now compared to how much it was when older consoles were released for a similar price or more.

For example, the Atari 2600 was also $250 when it was released in 1977, which in todays dollars would be $841.17 according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics inflation calculator. Or, if you want to compare the price of the Wii ($250) directly against the Atari 2600 (convert the Wii launch price to the 1977 value of $250), it would be $74.30. What does this mean? Quit your bitching, $250 is a great launch price, and is much smaller then you seam to realize.

Was I hoping for a sub $200 launch? Yes. But I also didn't expect a game to come packaged in. I still get one, I own every other N console.

Anyone know what the virtual console controller is going to cost?

metal_gameboy said:
The price seems fair to me. I mean really, it's $250 because Wii Sports is packed in; take that game out, and technically it's $200.
I was thinking $250 was a bit high, considering Nintendo's historical price of $199 for its consoles (right?), but this is a good point - you're getting a game AND system.

The historical price of $199 is very misleading, just refer to my post above. $199 is actually worth a lot less if they charge the same now then it was worth for the older consoles. Believe it or not, inflation applies to consoles too. Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if $249 is actually cheaper then $199 with this figured in, however I haven't checked this against their last console yet.

Prices adjusted to 2006 considering inflation
NES - $377 ($199)
SNES - $298 ($199)
N64 - $258 ($199)
GC - $229 ($199)
Wii - $250

So, yes the Wii costs more than the GC. But the Cube didn't include games. Nintendo may be breaking there traditional $199 price, but the machine is still a good deal to me.

I still think that is rather misleading -- As you can see from schi0249's last post, the $199 means Nintendo actually sells consoles for less and less over the years. If you use the adjusted prices the Wii costs a bit more then the GC, and less then the N64. Not to mention the Wii includes a game, which those two did not. Seems like a good deal to me, considering all of this.

Wasn't the N64 $299 at launch? I remember putting one in lay-a-way before xmas hoping to sell it for the way-high amounts they were going for.

the n64 was 249 then droped to 199 on release day i remember going to sears and someone returned one cuz it had av cables and not a rf switch i got it fro 179 :p

Back