32X CD Emu???

hi, is there any Emu out there that is capable of playing those 32X CD Games???

it tryed Gens, didn't work for me...anyone got something?

THX

Look at the bright side: At least there weren't any must have titles to play

Which is actually a shame.

Imaging how cool of (but not necessarily cheap) games they could have made if they had 32X cart AND CD games. Use the cart for the main graphics and such to speed up loading. Use the CD for music, speech, and a tad of FMV.

Ages is supposed to have 32xCD support

and, FYI, 32xCD games came on a disk, that loaded through the Sega CD and Genesis into the 32x for its increased color pallete, mainly used for FMV (32,000 colors is a heck of a lot more than 64 out of 512 total colors)

AFAIK most games limited themselves to make use of the extended color palette. A shame indeed, since it could be possible to have all 3, the SCD, the 32X and the Genny to process graphics in parallel.

That woulda been cool. hopefully sumbody who is in homebrew will attempt such a thing. Even if it's a shitty game...if they did it right it'd look AWESOME!

Making a 32X CD game is a pain because of the way the hardware is laid out. Getting data to the 32X is a pain when you boot off the CD because the 32X can't see any RAM in the rest of the system and the only way the rest of the machine can write to 32X RAM is through the framebuffer.

I do plan to eventually attempt something cool with the combo, but I have so far been unable to get code booted on the SH-2s.

Originally posted by ExCyber@Feb 1, 2004 @ 01:16 PM

the only way the rest of the machine can write to 32X RAM is through the framebuffer.

Why is that?

My best guess is they originally intended for the Genesis 68K to be able to write to 32X Work RAM, but they discovered a problem with it late in the development cycle. There's a 256KB hole in the memory map where it would fit ($80000-$87FFFF) and it would seem odd to place the framebuffer at $880000 when the address decoding would be simpler if it was simply at $800000 unless they intended to stick something else there.

Yeah, FMV games never really did catch on... though I enjoy playing Night Trap for a laugh and Wirehead for another laugh - but Wirehead actually happens to be a fun FMV (even if it's a bit silly :p). Don't quite a few people here like Sewer Shark?

Back