360, PS3, or?

dibz

Boss
Staff member
So, I've been getting bored with my current personal selection of games and have been thinking about a 360 or PS3.

Generally speaking, I'm not a huge fan of FPS style games. I play them once in a while, but definitely not my main interest. I already have a Wii.

Since I don't follow new consoles very much, what do you guys think? Live sounds awesome, but being a family man, I probably wouldn't use it enough to justify any sort of monthly cost -- same reason I don't play MMOs. Live Arcade seems interesting however.

It used to seem pretty clear cut that the 360 fit my interests a bit better, and seems to have a stronger selection of games -- however, they seem to hit the same genre or gameplay types. I've always enjoyed RPGs, and while honestly neither system seems to be overly strong in the area, the PS3 does seem like it will be stronger there further down the line. The new Metal Gear looks pretty nice, and both systems have GTA4.

Don't bother with graphics fights, both systems are pretty powerful, I could care less if one has nicer textures at the expense of FPS or vice versa, honestly, who really gives a shit in the end -- so long as the gameplay is fun.

I'd prefer this discussion be all out, debate all you want, even if you really want to take the graphics angle. I'm not one to plop down money for a new system, especially with the costs involved these days, often -- so I'd like to see as many viewpoints as I can before finalizing an opinion.

Oh, and please bring HDTV into it -- I do not, nor plan to very soon, have high definition. I could care less about that, but it still seems wise to get the scoop on it -- maybe I'll get a moneyhat someday and upgrade to a nice set.

:)

I'll preface this by saying that I have a bias toward PS3 (I own one, and while I am not a Sony fan, I am something of a Cell fan); that said I'll try not to let it creep in too much. 360 seems to be considerably better for downloadable games, and I think that will continue to be true for the foreseeable future, for the simple reason that the toolchain and APIs are heavily based on Windows development, making it a faster/cheaper option for smaller projects (Sony is trying to build in this direction, but there's no way that they will approach the installed base of DirectX developers). The same is true for current arcade ports, because XP Embedded has become the de-facto standard there. Right now I'd say that it also has the edge on Japanese RPGs (thanks to Mistwalker), but going forward I think PS3 will pull ahead there (thanks to Square-Enix and Level 5, among others). I see PS3 sticking around longer as a viable platform as well: I think it has more untapped potential in line with where game technology is going than 360 does (e.g. calculation capacity for physics engines, for starters), plus Sony has a track record of supporting their consoles for a long time (PS1 was only recently discontinued; PS2 hardware and accessories are still being sold and games are still being published).

New systems suck. Who cares about top notch HD graphics and super-realistic physics. If I wanted that, I could just open my eyes and run around outside. In the end, games only have to be one thing: Fun!

I don't know what systems you already have, but go backwards, not forwards! It's amazing how many great games exist for systems of old that I never even knew existed back when the systems were still up-to-date. The mags would only review the top new games they were paid to give good reviews for. And stores and rentals never carried off-titles. Now 10-20 years later, I find that 75% of the best games I'd never heard of.

So grab one of your old systems, surf the internet, and bring it alive again!

And if you've been there, done that, mod it and find all the great Japanese games that never saw the light of day in the US.

(You said this discussion should be all-out :) If only the old members were still here to argue with me. It made trolling more fun. )

Judging from your post, it almost sounds like a used PS2 would be your best bet.

Make sure whichever console you get has titles you actually are looking forward to, not just a bunch of ok ones. Otherwise you'll just be in the same boat again in a short while.

I think of it like: For which games would I call into work over?

Anyway, I understand where you're coming from on the time thing. Man, once you get married and have kids, you're lucky to have just 45 minutes for gaming. It becomes really hard relax and get lost in complex and deep plot when you've only got 20 minutes before you've gotta take your daughter to ballet class or something. I actually get most of my game time in between 2 - 5 am now, or on weekends where my wife visits her mom (and just so happens to take the kids, heh heh). But yeah, gaming like when we were 9, 14, hell even 17 ... no way, that time is just straight up gone. The time thing is probably why the Saturn and MVS are my most used machines as a good size of their library is straight up pickup & play.

Regarding HDTV - I find that anything not specifically made to take advantage of HD looks like utter and complete ass on my Bravia. I'm not sorry I got it or anything as the stuff made for High Def does look excellent - it's really clean looking. But I find most of the stuff I watch and play (which is SD) looks like a mid 90's Vivo file. Even my wife noticed and this is a woman that calls every console "the Playstation". I mean if you've waited this long, there no real harm in waiting longer... the sets'll only get bigger & cheaper, right?

About gaming, here's all I could think of:

A) With your current library, find someone else with similar interests to game with.

Not online, but in person. Even bad games can become fun in two player. You might feel bored with your stuff because you've forgotten just why you enjoyed gaming in the first place. Maybe it's time for a quick jaunt to a local arcade, or maybe a weekend lan party to get that excitement back, feel that interaction that only gaming with/against someone else can bring.

B) Buy some obscure shit.

I'm gonna have to agree with JMT on this one. Some of the best games I've ever played are games absolutely no one IRL has heard of. But while it's good to do your homework, I find that researching the living crap out of a game before buying almost makes getting it less fun. I know, it makes no damn sense - it's just the way it is.

C) Take a break from gaming.

Not an afternoon or anything, but a good long while.

Whenever I find I'm just going through the motions, I take a week up to a month off, and then find I'm excited to play again.

D) Jump ship to PC.

This is actually what I did / am doing. I have a 360 that I haven't touched more than 40 times, seriously. Last game I played was The Darkness. I still haven't even bought VF5 yet. The consoles actually at my parent's house being used by my brother. It's not because the 360 doesn't have enough flops or whatever. But a little while ago, I had to face the realization that somewhere near the end of last-gen I just lost interest in where the console industry is headed, and no amount of buying stuff is gonna make me feel interested again. Sad (seriously) but it is what it is.

I remember reading this article somewhere. Now this thing was totally flame-bait, but one statement made me feel like I swallowed a brick because it was so true. The writer said something like "For many of you, the console you have now will be the last one you'll ever buy".

Anyway, PC tech is cheap enough where you can run most stuff well without breaking the bank. And this is coming from a guy that is for all intents and purposes terminally broke ass.

Whatever you decide, don't just get it, just to get something new. My sister did this for the Wii (now collecting dust) & I repeated the same mistake with the 360 (now being used by the guy that shoulda bought it in the first place seeing as how he makes more than double what I do ...fucker...)

Not sure how this story relates, but hey.

As a kid, I was poor as fuck (like PB & J by candlelight poor) but I had a friend that was virtually rich. I remember going over to his house and being in awe of his tower of NES Carts. He even had that official gray cartridge cabinet for all of 'em.

Well anyway, when I said, "Dude!! Hooooleeeee shiat!! I would kill for this!" His face turned dead serious and he looked at the ground and said, "I know right, but the truth is, lifes pretty boring when you have everything you want."

I think as humans, we need a reason to wake up in the morning. We need something to strive for *The more you know*.

You just gotta figure out the solution that's going to bring you the most joy - the one that'll reinvigorate that fire. It might be a console, or it might just be a new game, hell, maybe something as simple as a better video connection or sound setup to breathe new life into your current stuff. Let your preferences guide you and logic / tech specs / sales figures be damned. In your house you don't need any justification for your purchase other than "I got it because I think it's fun".

Sorry about blabbin' so much, but any feedback is good feedback, right? Food for thought and all that jazz.

Good luck man

I can completely understand where Zaksund is coming from and it is all sound advice. For myself 90% of my gaming is done on PC (the WoW addiction doesn't help either).

That is precisely why I purchased a Wii instead of going for one of the flashy 360 or PS3 consoles. I find most of the games are focused on a short but intensly fun period that you can just pick up and play inbetween spare moments. When you have spent years playing with a mouse and keyboard for FPS style games, trying to fumble with a control pad just doesn't make sense, which is why I welcome the motion sensitive aspect of the Wii as refreshing and gives me a reason to get out of my chair and play something other than the PC.

My previous consoles were an Xbox, Gamecube & PS1 and I had a blast playing them all at the time, but it wasn't long before they fell into disuse and sat collecting dust. Eventually I just started lending them out to friends so they would at least get some use.

ExCyber said:
I'll preface this by saying that I have a bias toward PS3 (I own one, and while I am not a Sony fan, I am something of a Cell fan); that said I'll try not to let it creep in too much. 360 seems to be considerably better for downloadable games, and I think that will continue to be true for the foreseeable future, for the simple reason that the toolchain and APIs are heavily based on Windows development, making it a faster/cheaper option for smaller projects (Sony is trying to build in this direction, but there's no way that they will approach the installed base of DirectX developers). The same is true for current arcade ports, because XP Embedded has become the de-facto standard there. Right now I'd say that it also has the edge on Japanese RPGs (thanks to Mistwalker), but going forward I think PS3 will pull ahead there (thanks to Square-Enix and Level 5, among others). I see PS3 sticking around longer as a viable platform as well: I think it has more untapped potential in line with where game technology is going than 360 does (e.g. calculation capacity for physics engines, for starters), plus Sony has a track record of supporting their consoles for a long time (PS1 was only recently discontinued; PS2 hardware and accessories are still being sold and games are still being published).

Yeah, that's exactly what I was thinking. I would love to see some of the things that are coming out for the PS3 down the line and have a chance to play them. However, it seems to me the types of games are not going to be pick-up-and-play for 15 minute type games -- And I simply don't realistically have the time to dedicate to massively long games.

Jedi Master Thrash said:
New systems suck. Who cares about top notch HD graphics and super-realistic physics. If I wanted that, I could just open my eyes and run around outside. In the end, games only have to be one thing: Fun!

I don't know what systems you already have, but go backwards, not forwards! It's amazing how many great games exist for systems of old that I never even knew existed back when the systems were still up-to-date. The mags would only review the top new games they were paid to give good reviews for. And stores and rentals never carried off-titles. Now 10-20 years later, I find that 75% of the best games I'd never heard of.

So grab one of your old systems, surf the internet, and bring it alive again!

And if you've been there, done that, mod it and find all the great Japanese games that never saw the light of day in the US.

(You said this discussion should be all-out :) If only the old members were still here to argue with me. It made trolling more fun. )

Nah, as you said, I asked for it -- nothing wrong with taking a "discouraging" viewpoint. My old systems never die, except when money troubles hit and they occasionally need to be let go -- but my favorites remain, and are somewhat actively still bought for. However, there is a certain convenience of being able to just walk in to a store and pick up a game when it comes to newer systems -- as much as I love collecting, sometimes it's just a pain in the ass.

Zaksund said:
Judging from your post, it almost sounds like a used PS2 would be your best bet.

Already have one my good man. ;)

Zaksund said:
Make sure whichever console you get has titles you actually are looking forward to, not just a bunch of ok ones. Otherwise you'll just be in the same boat again in a short while.

I think of it like: For which games would I call into work over?

Heh, you forget the wife factor. Calling in to work translates into more time to do things around the house like later in your reply. Anyway, that's kind of what I was asking you guys since I haven't followed the consoles very well.

I would probably enjoy MGS4, GTA4, RPGs in general, arcade-feel games -- ones that you can play for 10~15 minutes at a time, platformers, etc.

The PS3 seems like it would have a stronger RPG lineup later in it's lifetime, which is fine for me, and it would have MGS4 -- although the 360 seems to have more platformers and the Live! Arcade seems to fit the bill for arcade-feel games. Lets not forget the price differences, the PS3 seems like it will cost more both immediately and in the long run, but I could be wrong.

Zaksund said:
Anyway, I understand where you're coming from on the time thing. Man, once you get married and have kids, you're lucky to have just 45 minutes for gaming. It becomes really hard relax and get lost in complex and deep plot when you've only got 20 minutes before you've gotta take your daughter to ballet class or something. I actually get most of my game time in between 2 - 5 am now, or on weekends where my wife visits her mom (and just so happens to take the kids, heh heh). But yeah, gaming like when we were 9, 14, hell even 17 ... no way, that time is just straight up gone. The time thing is probably why the Saturn and MVS are my most used machines as a good size of their library is straight up pickup & play.

Tell me about it. I usually get to play when the wife and kid visits grandma, that's about it for any game time thats longer then 15 minutes.

Zaksund said:
Regarding HDTV - I find that anything not specifically made to take advantage of HD looks like utter and complete ass on my Bravia. I'm not sorry I got it or anything as the stuff made for High Def does look excellent - it's really clean looking. But I find most of the stuff I watch and play (which is SD) looks like a mid 90's Vivo file. Even my wife noticed and this is a woman that calls every console "the Playstation". I mean if you've waited this long, there no real harm in waiting longer... the sets'll only get bigger & cheaper, right?

Exactly, I could care less -- when my old CRT dies, I'll get whatever I find and consider decent at the time, but not until then.

Zaksund said:
About gaming, here's all I could think of:

A) With your current library, find someone else with similar interests to game with.

Not online, but in person. Even bad games can become fun in two player. You might feel bored with your stuff because you've forgotten just why you enjoyed gaming in the first place. Maybe it's time for a quick jaunt to a local arcade, or maybe a weekend lan party to get that excitement back, feel that interaction that only gaming with/against someone else can bring.

I live in a very rural area, small chance of that tbh. It really is good advice though.

Zaksund said:
B) Buy some obscure shit.

I'm gonna have to agree with JMT on this one. Some of the best games I've ever played are games absolutely no one IRL has heard of. But while it's good to do your homework, I find that researching the living crap out of a game before buying almost makes getting it less fun. I know, it makes no damn sense - it's just the way it is.

Don't get me wrong, I do that all the time! And I'm not going to stop. Think of the 360/PS3 questions as branching out, rather then upgrading.

Zaksund said:
C) Take a break from gaming.

Not an afternoon or anything, but a good long while.

Whenever I find I'm just going through the motions, I take a week up to a month off, and then find I'm excited to play again.

We already covered being married. ;)

I already only play once in a while, but still enjoy it. Two player games my wife kicks my ass it, even though she doesn't consider herself a gamer. I shit you not, she can beat the origianl super mario world in ~45 minutes without dying once, including star road and all secret areas. She also enjoys handing me my ass in the Burnout series and numerous fighting games.

Zaksund said:
D) Jump ship to PC.

This is actually what I did / am doing. I have a 360 that I haven't touched more than 40 times, seriously. Last game I played was The Darkness. I still haven't even bought VF5 yet. The consoles actually at my parent's house being used by my brother. It's not because the 360 doesn't have enough flops or whatever. But a little while ago, I had to face the realization that somewhere near the end of last-gen I just lost interest in where the console industry is headed, and no amount of buying stuff is gonna make me feel interested again. Sad (seriously) but it is what it is.

I remember reading this article somewhere. Now this thing was totally flame-bait, but one statement made me feel like I swallowed a brick because it was so true. The writer said something like "For many of you, the console you have now will be the last one you'll ever buy".

Anyway, PC tech is cheap enough where you can run most stuff well without breaking the bank. And this is coming from a guy that is for all intents and purposes terminally broke ass.

Already do this to a point, I have a pretty nice GFX card/decent rig with a 360 usb controller -- I finally decided to stop using my old sidewinder (gameport) pad, since I really didn't want to keep my ancient SBLive! card in the box just for the port anymore. ;)

That being said, everyone should go buy Sam & Max: Seasons 1 and 2. Awesome PC gaming.

Zaksund said:
Whatever you decide, don't just get it, just to get something new. My sister did this for the Wii (now collecting dust) & I repeated the same mistake with the 360 (now being used by the guy that shoulda bought it in the first place seeing as how he makes more than double what I do ...fucker...)

Not sure how this story relates, but hey.

As a kid, I was poor as fuck (like PB & J by candlelight poor) but I had a friend that was virtually rich. I remember going over to his house and being in awe of his tower of NES Carts. He even had that official gray cartridge cabinet for all of 'em.

Well anyway, when I said, "Dude!! Hooooleeeee shiat!! I would kill for this!" His face turned dead serious and he looked at the ground and said, "I know right, but the truth is, lifes pretty boring when you have everything you want."

I think as humans, we need a reason to wake up in the morning. We need something to strive for *The more you know*.

You just gotta figure out the solution that's going to bring you the most joy - the one that'll reinvigorate that fire. It might be a console, or it might just be a new game, hell, maybe something as simple as a better video connection or sound setup to breathe new life into your current stuff. Let your preferences guide you and logic / tech specs / sales figures be damned. In your house you don't need any justification for your purchase other than "I got it because I think it's fun".

Sorry about blabbin' so much, but any feedback is good feedback, right? Food for thought and all that jazz.

Good luck man

No apology needed, it's again good advice. Personally my wife thinks I need more hobbies, but in reality I just stopped doing my normal hobbies -- like gaming. Thought I'd pick it up a little again.

I agree on the "having everything" part -- which is why I didn't mind a whole lot letting a good chunk of my collection go when bills came and went, I only sold the ones I didn't play much, which was most of the collection. Same goes for pirating -- how many people do you know that download games and shit all the time, but mysteriously never play a single one? A lot, at least I do. If you buy a game only occasionaly, not like the stack you mentioned, then it actually gets played -- or at least thats the case with me.

For older games, thats certainly in the hobby territory too -- although I would almost be willing to consider that a different hobby then regular gaming, as I have to be in an entirely different mood. And it is a very fun thing to do, just not all the time.

djbass said:
I can completely understand where Zaksund is coming from and it is all sound advice. For myself 90% of my gaming is done on PC (the WoW addiction doesn't help either).

That is precisely why I purchased a Wii instead of going for one of the flashy 360 or PS3 consoles. I find most of the games are focused on a short but intensly fun period that you can just pick up and play inbetween spare moments. When you have spent years playing with a mouse and keyboard for FPS style games, trying to fumble with a control pad just doesn't make sense, which is why I welcome the motion sensitive aspect of the Wii as refreshing and gives me a reason to get out of my chair and play something other than the PC.

I love my PC too, and this extends my text blob from earlier -- I work full time on my computer, at home, and honestly when taking a break sometimes its nice to just park my ass somewhere else.

djbass said:
My previous consoles were an Xbox, Gamecube & PS1 and I had a blast playing them all at the time, but it wasn't long before they fell into disuse and sat collecting dust. Eventually I just started lending them out to friends so they would at least get some use.

This is very true, although I love my XBMC box. I still have a GC, but alas, no longer a PS1 -- sold it. I still have some of my old PS1 games like my original FF7 (Which apparently is worth some $$ now? Why?!?).

Personally what I plan on doing is giving my older games that I no longer cherish in a collecting sense to my kids. You can't beat the sturdiness of cartridges when it comes to kids.

My suggestion is lame, but here goes:

List of PS3 games (announced, released, exclusivity)

List of 360 games (ditto)

And over to gamefaqs, with the released games sorted by category:

PS3

Dibz, you're kind of like me, you're a 'know it when I see it' kind of guy. As tragic as this sounds, the best thing to happen to me gaming wise is the demise of sega - I was no longer beholden to one particular brand (fanboyism) since I had nowhere to go. I now have a PS2, xbox, xbox 360 and wii with a bunch of gamecube games to go along with it. I am planning to get a PS3 when the price becomes a bit more palatable.

If I were you, I'd plan to buy both systems, but base the first purchase on the current and immediate future list of games.

The number of exclusive titles has really dwindled over the years. And of those exclusive titles, not many of them are really 'must own' (I'm thinking Halo3 and MGS4).

I bought my 360 first because of the promise of xbox live and a couple of games I really want / are looking forward to (Street Fighter 4, Viva Pinata, Alan Wake, Afro Samurai, Forza). Every so often I end up with a block of free time that I wasn't expecting (the wife takes our daughter out for something or the grandparents want to take her to play, etc.) so the ability to jump on and immediately play is worth the yearly membership fee. XBLA looks fantastic, too.

As for HD... a friend has both the 360 and ps3, and on his gargantuan 1080p tv they both look the same. I don't know if that's just a function of me not looking for differences or there generally not being any differences. I imagine that the onus is on the developer, though.

Back