3DO Filesystem Cracked

A couple months ago I decided it would be fun to try and figure out the 3DO filesystem so I ripped a few of my friends 3DO discs and whipped out the good old hex editor. This program, http://www.pages.drexel.edu/~mrp29/3dofs.exe is the result. You can use it to browse through the filesystem on a 3DO ISO file and extract files to your hard drive. It's a command line program, basic usage is as follows:

3dofs my3dOgame.iso [offset]

Where my3dOgame.iso is the name of the ISO file you want to read and offset is the offset from the beginning of the file to start looking for the filesystem (this last parameter is optional and is only useful for reading the filesystem in the 3DO BIOS).

Here are the commands available in the program:

dir/ls: List the files in the current 3DO directory

cd DIR: Change the current 3DO directory to DIR (use .. to go up one directory)

get FILE: Extract FILE to your hard drive, it will be placed in whatever directory you started 3dofs.exe from

all: Extract all files in the current 3DO directory

Looking at the files, it would appear that only 2 or 3 files are actually encrypted. Some executable files are unencrypted on the disc; however, there also appears to be some kind of signature file and it's possible that all executables have to have a valid signature in said file. I'm not sure yet as I haven't tested this. At some point I want to look around in the BIOS for the actual decryption code to see what encryption scheme it uses. Then it will be much easier to ascertain the feasibility of cracking the key.

Originally posted by Mask of Destiny@Wed, 2005-02-23 @ 03:46 PM

A couple months ago I decided it would be fun to try and figure out the 3DO filesystem so I ripped a few of my friends 3DO discs and whipped out the good old hex editor. This program, http://www.pages.drexel.edu/~mrp29/3dofs.exe is the result. You can use it to browse through the filesystem on a 3DO ISO file and extract files to your hard drive. It's a command line program, basic usage is as follows:

This is great news, can't wait to hear more. I'd like to look into it more, but I'm a bit tied up with the Philips CD-I. (CDI Dev Webpage)

Originally posted by CrazyGoon+Thu, 2005-02-24 @ 02:45 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(CrazyGoon @ Thu, 2005-02-24 @ 02:45 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>Maybe you should submit this to the authors of the FreeDO project? This could be of some use for them.
[post=130369]Quoted post[/post]​
[/b]

<!--QuoteBegin-Mask of Destiny
@Thu, 2005-02-24 @ 07:01 PM

The FreeDO people seem to be doing just fine without my help, though you're welcome to pass it along to them if you so desire.
[post=130421]Quoted post[/post]​
[/quote]

Do you guys mean FreeDOS?

Back