A question

it will. M$ can keep it on the market as long as they feel like it, be it 2 years or 20.

besides, it's THE ultimate multimedia machine right now. no other system can play all these emulators, and divx/mp3/dvd for free, and load games from HD, etc.

Originally posted by Gallstaff@Aug. 11 2002, 4:26 pm

if you think about it, it's really like the dreamcast 2.0...

Not really, only because the DC was rushed to the market WAY too soon, and could've been much better (hardware wise) than it was.

The Xbox on the other hand has tons of power. Regardless of what you think of it, by specs alone it's the most powerful system available.

Marketing, they seem on par. So maybe in that sense, yes. ???

i dont think its a question of how long it will survive, i think its a question of how long ppl will care about it, because i think its only a matter of time untill japanese developers completely abadon it, and it just gets flooded by 20 different football games every month

good point. i dont care how well it does here, american made games arent very good to me. i enjoy japanese made games.

Is it just me that thinks the whole black and green thing is a little overdone/tacky?

To me it seems like it's trying to be cool looking, but isn't. I reminds me of something from like 1998.

Sega's hardware designs (from Model 2 Genesis to DC) still look nice to this day.

Black and green coloring is the style of Microsoft hardware. Sidewinder controllers are the same. The XBox is a pretty bad design, I agree. It is not as time tested as SEGA, SONY or Nintendo design.

i dont think its a question of how long it will survive, i think its a question of how long ppl will care about it, because i think its only a matter of time untill japanese developers completely abadon it, and it just gets flooded by 20 different football games every month

Actually, the pipeline isn't looking so bad, even if the current selection is kinda crap...

I think in Australia, at least, it will not survive the long term. Same with the GC. It has been proven time and time again that our market is not strong enough to properly support two systems, let alone three. Australia wide they are only shipping 4 thousand units a month...

PS2 will be the ultimate winner, superior marketing or no. It makes no difference that MS has the cash reserves to be loosing hundereds of dollars on each console sold.

It will survive long enough to see the X-Box 2.
smile.gif

It will survive, remember it hasnt even been out for a year. The lineup coming up in the near future looks very promising. I dont think the full potential of the unit has been hit yet but soon it may very well overcome many obstacles. It already is better than the GC in many aspects.

Good point Ratam, the xbox's potential is huge, and I know it will outlast the gc, nintendo has the kid market cornered, but thats it. Although I hope the xbox makes good on its original promise to have japanese rpgs. Still its worth owning one, solely for Panzer Dragoon Orta... ooooweeeeeeee

Stack, how old are ya? I've noticed that the only people caring about the "Nintendo Kiddie market" are 13 yr olds and the like who have to seem cool... the more mature people take it as it is and enjoy the games or don't because they ain't they're type... not cuz they look kiddie

plus, the average age of a GC owner is 23, showing that most don't see it as a kids machine... but as a machine with original games

Oh, and the XBox has a lot of potential, and has the homebrew market cornered... I don't personally enjoy the type of games coming out for it, but a lot of people do and it should have a long a succsessful life...

Stack, how old are ya? I've noticed that the only people caring about the "Nintendo Kiddie market" are 13 yr olds and the like who have to seem cool...

And the thing is, the video game market will most likely die a slow and painful death if this trend continues and there are no/too few good games for kids...

hmmm...the more sega prot's i see on the X-Box...the more i will support it.....but if they don't port over some saturn titles (and imports) i will put an axe through my X-BOX...or sell it....
tongue.gif

Originally posted by stack99@Aug. 12 2002, 11:53 am

Good point Ratam, the xbox's potential is huge, and I know it will outlast the gc, nintendo has the kid market cornered

Yeah, I've been trying to figure this out:

Does kiddie mean lack of blood or violence? Does it involve Mario or something that doesn't stand 6+ feet tall weilding a large sword? Does it mean it doesn't require a huge number of button combinations to play? Lacking in adult themes?

Or is it because the GC isn't black and it has a handle?

I always thought Kiddie meant 'barney' or 'sesame street' games. You know, stuff that teaches them the alphabet or something.

Much like the XBox, the GC has surprised me. It's a great system, and hardly 'kiddie'.

Back