A Tale of Two Modchips

Just thought I would share my modchip experience for others that may be trying what I did.

I have a model 2 oval power and reset buttons / 21 pin ribbon cable / 64 pin IC. (see pic attached). I have one mod chip that I tried and couldn't get it to work. The system saw every disk (cdr or retail) as an audio cd. I tried it in both a 32 pin and a 64 pin model 2 saturns and had the same result. I assumed that the chip was bad. I've had it in a closet for several years and finally decided to try it.

So, I ordered a new chip from racketboy and tried it in my 64 pin system and got the same result. I tried the A+B method and connecting pin 8 and got the same result. Unfortunately, I fried the 32 pin system by accidentally pulling pin 14 of the 32 pin IC off of the board (the whole pad came off), so I didn't get to try the chip in a 32 pin system.

I was just about to give up when I read a post some were about hitting eject and closing the drive to boot and that didn't work.... at first. After some trial and error, I finally found a method that would boot my backup discs. I have to put in the cdr, close the lid, and turn on the power. The disc will been seen as an audio disc. Then I open and close the lid TWICE and the disc will work. I've tried this on 4 different games a dozen or more times and it always works!

Looking back, my other modchip may work, but I'm not about to mess with my working mod. I do have a model 1 saturn, but there is to much cutting and rewiring to do on the chip to make it worth it. For now, I'll keep it as a back up.

Let me know if my tale helps anyone.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 200
Back