Activator

I bought an Sega Activator, but it not arrived yet...

I want to know if it's any good to play.

How exactly it works? Will work with any game?

Sorry dude, but those things are freaking terrible. I doubt you'll ever want to use it again after you've experienced it for the first time.

To use the Activator the game had to be designed for it. Otherwise you just get random movements out of it. Eternal champions was one of the better games that used it.

Y'know what's funny, is that Mortal Kombat 2 (both Genesis and 32X versions) seem to want to think I have an Activator plugged in whenever I start up the game. Is it this way for everybody? Who in their right mind was responsible for setting up Activator as the default? Maybe they received some heavy bucks from whoever made the freaking thing.

EDIT: Man, it kind of sucks that no one's working on this type of thing anymore. Now that we have excellent wireless technology and great 3d graphics, you don't see any game companies (or anyone else for that matter) unleashing cool VR technology. VR was supposed to be the Next Big Thing, but missed. I think it'll still play a big part in our lives some day, but what are the big companies thinking? We're ready for it! VR sure is a hell of a lot better than that 'connectivity' bullshit that Nintendo's trying to push.

I think that vr was a big novelty that never caught on. The technoligy is there sure, but if you try to lower the price enough for the average consumer, it turns to crap. I'm sure there is some sweet VR stuff that you could do but it would just simply be out of the range of the average consumer. Thats why what we is crap.

Yes, but what I'm sayin' is that the technology has caught up. The components don't _have_ to be expensive, they just are because they're not mass-produced. But I bet if Sony or some other big company released a VR entertainment system for a decent price, it would spread like wildfire.

Actually, it's kind of ironic that the hardware can be really cheap -- a lot of home VR enthusiasts use modified Power Gloves in their systems.

EDIT - Actually, Sony already produces some very good VR-like eyewear, they just lack motion tracking and stereoscopic video; adding those things wouldn't cost that much for a big corporation.

Actually VR would cost alot more than a regular TV based console. Remember that to get PS2 quality graphics on the VR displays you'd essentially need two PS2's to generate them. One for each eye. Additionally the whole problem of motion sickness and walking into things and getting hurt is there too. Solutions exist (at least for the walking into things problem) but are expensive.

2 PS2s, or 1 console with twice the power. A PS2 really isn't all that powerful. With the motion sickness thing, well, that depends more on the software than anything else. With most games it wouldn't really be much of a problem. As for walking into things - dude, I'm not talkin' about a full body type setup, just a VR headset with motion tracking to control your viewpoint and either a normal controller or some simple hand tracking.

Mal -- I can't believe you would even compare VR with FMV games. They might have both been fads in the early 90's, but VR still holds a lot of potential for the future of cyberspace and the human consciousness.

EDIT -- Look, if people are willing to buy those stupid PSX things for ~$900usd, I think a VR system with far greater power than was available in the early-to-mid 90's that retailed for $700 or so could do quite well. It would be a niche market at first, but with some killer apps I think it could really take off. Maybe I'm alone in this, but I'd sure rather have a cool VR system than a freakin' glorified Tivo.

Originally posted by it290@Feb 6, 2004 @ 02:37 AM

EDIT -- Look, if people are willing to buy those stupid PSX things for ~$900usd, I think a VR system with far greater power than was available in the early-to-mid 90's that retailed for $700 or so could do quite well. It would be a niche market at first, but with some killer apps I think it could really take off. Maybe I'm alone in this, but I'd sure rather have a cool VR system than a freakin' glorified Tivo.

Shut up!

*Kisses PSX*

At the Gameworks in Seattle they have a VR version of Tekken 3. Its pretty cool but not very responsive. You just stand inside a cirslt and puch and kick and your character does it. And if you jump so does your character. Not real responsive but still fun.

Back