Alienware laptops...

Pearl Jammzz

Established Member
So I am lookin at laptops, about a grand in my limit. Alienware looks liek they make a good one that's right up my alley, light and compact yet w/ nice power. 1350 bucks shipped for a pentium m 730, xp pro, 2yr warranty, 40gig hdd, wireless card, ethernet, even a 56k modem, lol. 12.5'' 16:10 screen that does 1280x800 I think, gig of 533mhz ddr2, integrated graphics (not sure if this is shared or not?) and a dual layer dvdrw drive. This good? Any better buys out there? I see it's similar priced as Dell, but I hate all that bullshit dell likes to have you install, haha. Anyone had any experience w/ Alienware and their quality? Hear anything? Good/bad? Lemme hurr your thoughts, thanks.

Alienware's are nice, but WAY overpriced.

For laptop's, Dells and Gateways aren't too bad. Just avoid their desktop systems like the bubonic plague. You can always spend a day uninstalling their OEM software shit.

Sony Viao's are junk. (I work at a return center. I see about a dozen a day get returned for dead pixels, no other laptop brand our customers sell has that many come back for defective screens. Bad hard drives, yes. But not for bad screens. Which I suppose explains all the problems with the PSP.)

Personaly, I have a HP. It was one of those deals that was too good to pass up. It worked great until the hard drive went kaput just out of warranty. I still haven't gotten around to replacing it. (Note to self: must fix laptop before vacation in April.) But that aside, I'd easily reccommend an HP or Compaq laptop.

Toshiba, I'd rank right alongside HP. Decent quality, decent price.

If you're truly looking for cheap, I've been surprised by how good Balance and IC Power brand laptops have been. For $450 don't expect a screaming gaming system, but they get the job done and surprisingly few have been coming back as defective.

Well go look at Alienware's Laptops....for the one I want, it's cheaper than most other 12'' laptops. Beats even Dell's price. I am just curious as to the build quality. They make good shit? There warrant even says they will come to my house and fix it, hehe. That price includes a 2yr warranty..

Alienware's tech support is top notch. Absolute wonders. Basically that's what you're paying for - it's likely you'll find laptops cheaper elsewhere (though in this case it sounds like you have a pretty good bargain).

Integrated graphics almost always means it's shared DDR. Those types of vid cards have come a long way but of course they're no match for separate video cards. I've only seen one laptop with a separate video card in the 12.1" form factor and that's by toshiba (with a separate nvidia card). That laptop was pushing 1900$. It was a tablet pc, and one sick performer.

I'd have to disagree with the assessment of Dell laptops. Absolute junk. My wife has one - replaced the keyboard three times, power cord twice. And all it does is sits in a corner! I bought a D600 on a discount, and sold it 30 days later to my sister. Two months later the hard drive died, and then after they gave her a hard time replacing it (it was still under warranty) it started having overheating issues. But when I had it, it could run GTA:VC really well. :D

As for HP/Compaq - I used their online tech support. The hard drive died in my n1015v. After describing the problem, they overnighted a brand new hard drive to me, free of charge. Little wonders.

Sweet, I am actually lookin at MAYBE gettin a HP just cuz I can get an awesome deal on em. Depends on how well of a deal I can get an Alienware when I go to buy one.

Back