Another I'm building a computer topic

Dud

Established Member

First think I'm going to get is a motherboard, processor and case/PS, and work my way from there.

I'm looking for a good ASUS mobo, and an AMD processor in the 2-3Ghz range to go with it. I also need a well ventilated case with a powersupply, that will accept the previously mentioned parts. I will probably do some overclocking.

I've never built a computer from complete scratch so picking out a case and what not is something I've never done. Please help me out. :bow

Might help if you post some specs on what you want to do with this pc. Also what your budget is.

Alright, these are the parts I've chosen:

AMD ATHLON XP 2800 Barton 333 FSB PROCESSOR CPU- OEM

Asus Motherboard for AMD Athlon XP/Duron Processors, Model# A7N8X Deluxe Retail

I only want to know if:

A ) I have made an unwise choice picking these components.

B ) there is any reason a case I buy might not take these parts.

I've been recommended cases from coolermaster.com by a friend/co-worker.

Well, there is no such thing as an AMD processor in the 3Ghz range, so you're out of luck there. ;)

ASUS board: A7N8X Deluxe

Chip: Any of the AMD range. 2500+ has a good price/performance ratio.

Overclocking: Get a Zalman 7000A-AlCu HSF

Case: Dunno. Just about every case you can buy will fit all of the above in.

Nothing new here - same old recommendations from me.

Snap. :)

No there is no reason a case you'd buy would not fit these part - just make sure you buy a standard ATX case and not a microATX case.

Originally posted by Curtis@Oct 15, 2003 @ 04:39 PM

...Chip: Any of the AMD range. 2500+ has a good price/performance ratio...

Cool, that's an $83 price difference at newegg.

It may have been that motherboard that I had issues with one time (is that the one with 2 onboard NICs?). I can't remember the model number for the asus board I had problems with, but the first one didn't post, and the second one crashes when you shut down windows.

Yeah it's got two NICs. I can't say I've had either trouble with mine. Nothing but rock solid performance. Of course, it helps that it runs the CPU at a slightly higher voltage than normal (ie overvolting), but that helps when overclocking.

I've got two more questions: How much RAM can the A7N8X hold? (Numerical amnt. and number of sticks) and what's the best way to install an operating system onto a blank hard drive? I'll probably put XP ...

[snip]

Thanks to everyone who has posted you have been helpful. :bow

Please don't openly ask questions about software piracy.

And lets leave it at that. <_<

The A7N8X Deluxe can have up to 3Gb, I believe. It has three DDR Ram slots so you can mix and match how you like. I'd recommend 2x256 for 512Mb. Unless you are doing serious video editing, you probably won't need more. By using the two chips, you can enable DDR mode on the ram.

Originally posted by Curtis@Oct 16, 2003 @ 09:38 AM

The A7N8X Deluxe can have up to 3Gb, I believe. It has three DDR Ram slots so you can mix and match how you like. I'd recommend 2x256 for 512Mb. Unless you are doing serious video editing, you probably won't need more. By using the two chips, you can enable DDR mode on the ram.

Curtis, you're a bit confoosled here. The memory is ALWAYS DDR, that is the technology. What you mean here is dual-channel operation. For dual-channel mode to work, you must use two identical memory sticks. So if you don't need a ton of memory, get two 256MB sticks. You could get two 512MB sticks if you had the cash and the need. Dual-channel operation will provided you with a speed boost. I'd recommend you take advantage of it... I'd also agree that the Deluxe model of the A7N8X is worth the money, unless you plan on getting a really powerful PCI sound card.

Since your CPU choice (currently 2500+, right?) runs at 333Mhz FSB, you'll need to run your memory at that speed. Unless you plan on OCing to a 400Mhz FSB. But you could always run DDR400 at 333 and then later OC or whatever. Its your decision. But remember not to buy DDR333 if you plan on OCing your FSB to 400, because you WILL want to run memory and FSB at the same speed (synchronously).

best way to install an os is to make sure you have a bootable cd, and make sure you can boot from a cd in your bios (any modern bios should be able to).

Originally posted by Alexvrb+Oct 16, 2003 @ 01:20 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alexvrb @ Oct 16, 2003 @ 01:20 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'> Since your CPU choice (currently 2500+, right?) runs at 333Mhz FSB, you'll need to run your memory at that speed. Unless you plan on OCing to a 400Mhz FSB. But you could always run DDR400 at 333 and then later OC or whatever. Its your decision. But remember not to buy DDR333 if you plan on OCing your FSB to 400, because you WILL want to run memory and FSB at the same speed (synchronously). [/b]

Is there any brand of DDR400 memory you'd recommend?

<!--QuoteBegin-Scared0o0Rabbit
@Oct 16, 2003 @ 03:50 PM

best way to install an os is to make sure you have a bootable cd, and make sure you can boot from a cd in your bios (any modern bios should be able to). [/quote]

Yeah that may sound like a newbie question, but I've had some computer nightmares caused by blank hard drives and old BIOS'. I guess it shouldn't be a problem with such a new motherboard.

If you're going to overclock, go samsung. If you're going to be running a stock system, go with crucial.

Originally posted by Scared0o0Rabbit@Oct 16, 2003 @ 05:37 PM

If you're going to overclock, go samsung. If you're going to be running a stock system, go with crucial.

*EDIT* I checked again and newegg has it now. But the Samsung memory is VERY expensive.

I've picked out about everything I want, here are links:

Processor

Motherboard

Case

CD/DVD

Hard Drive

Video Card - I'm going to borrow a 64MB GeForce2 from another computer

Then I've got cheap-ass speakers, a keyboard/mouse and monitor to use. All I need now is to pick some DDR RAM and a power supply (I don't think I forgot anything). I have no idea what kind of power supply I need other than that it should be over 300-400 watts. DDR ram I have no clue what to get. Also are any of these parts bad/overpriced (I know the case is overpriced, but I need it to beat John)?

I think you should get a decent graphics card and not pay large sums of money for that case. Aluminum should be cheap, damnit, they are really raking in the dough from that latest craze. Sure it conducts heat better, but your heatsinks and fans are doing most of THAT work. Steel cases are also stronger, unless you get a cheap one. I'm not knocking them, I just don't think a mediocre case with a window should cost anywhere NEAR that. But do whatever you want. If you really want all-aluminum and a window, what do you think of this? They have different colors. http://www.str8buy.com/rasc668blcaw.html

I like the blue one best, but the green one is kind of catchy. They also sell cheaper aluminum plated versions, which I'd probably get since I'd prefer to put that extra cash towards a nice expensive HS/fan like the Zalman Curtis recommended, or something similar (maybe not so huge, maybe watercooling). Of course that would be assuming I had money and was planning on making these purchases. I think that'll happen next year. Can't be getting a new PC every year, now can I? :D Maybe by then Athlon 64-based solutions will be more affordable, right?

Your other choices are all fine. For memory, don't worry about brand so much. If its a major brand, you're ok. Just get DDR400, I HIGHLY doubt that you'll be overclocking your 2500 enough to run at a FSB over 400Mhz (since the 2500 runs stock at 333 FSB). Shoot, if you were going to buy a particular brand just to overclock to some sickening speed, it'd probably be cheaper/safer to just buy higher-rated memory of another major brand. But again as long as you have DDR400 you'll be fine, I mean if you run your FSB at 400 with that CPU you've already made a significant overclock, and any more will start to really push your components. The only thing that could *really* matter to me at that point are timings, I mean I'd LOVE some ultra-fast Geil memory with super low timings (yes there's more to memory than CAS Latency aka CL of 2.0 and raw Mhz values). I just don't have the cash for new hardware.

Hope that helps.

Alright I should have everything I need. What does everyone think of this memory and power supply. Will the power supply work with my motherboard/processor?

Power Supply

Memory

I will get a new video card as soon as I get more money, and possibly add more RAM too. I'm also going to get a DVD burner next year. I know the case is a rip-off, but one of the goals of building this computer is to beat my friend Jon's setup--and he has a really nice case.

Originally posted by Alexvrb@Oct 18, 2003 @ 02:47 AM

I think you should get a decent graphics card and not pay large sums of money for that case. Aluminum should be cheap, damnit, they are really raking in the dough from that latest craze. Sure it conducts heat better, but your heatsinks and fans are doing most of THAT work. Steel cases are also stronger, unless you get a cheap one. I'm not knocking them, I just don't think a mediocre case with a window should cost anywhere NEAR that. But do whatever you want. If you really want all-aluminum and a window, what do you think of this? They have different colors. http://www.str8buy.com/rasc668blcaw.html

I like the blue one best, but the green one is kind of catchy. They also sell cheaper aluminum plated versions, which I'd probably get since I'd prefer to put that extra cash towards a nice expensive HS/fan like the Zalman Curtis recommended, or something similar (maybe not so huge, maybe watercooling)....

I'd like to see the inside of that case before considering it over a Cooler Master; to see where the fans get mounted. It also isn't my style, I really like how the rip-off case looks. But thanks for the suggestion.

Back