Aussie free trade agreement

Curtis

Established Member
As some of you may have noticed, Australia scored a free trade agreement with the US. Looking briefly at some of the things, it looks like a very mixed bag. On one hand, it looks like the telco market will open up, and we may begin to see competition from US based ISPs. This probably means a drop in internet access prices (yay!).

On the other hand, if I'm reading the fact sheet (http://www.dfat.gov.au/trade/negotiations/us.html) correctly, copyright laws are going to tighten up significantly. Slashdot is reporting that we'll be subjected to the DMCA-style copyright laws like the US have. Could we be sued by the RIAA for illegal filesharing and downloading of music if this is the case?

Thoughts?

Personally, I'm not convinced of its value, but then I haven't had a really good read of it yet.

Embrace the RIAA. The RIAA loves you. The RIAA is concerned for your well being. You will obey the RIAA.

:devil

I'm sure the Aussies will get raped a good few times due to this deal, but congrats on your cheaper isp service :lol:

---Ammut

I don't think the RIAA can do anything in Australia. Anyway, don't you guys currently shell out rather large amounts of cash for mediocre internet service? It would be good if you did get some competition. Shoot, I'd like them to open up the cable lines here like they did the phone lines (I'm too far to get DSL).

Meh...cheaper Internet isn't really much of an issue where you are taking it up the arse. The more I see of this deal, the less I like.

Back